Hometown: Portland, OR
Citizenship: United States
College: Oregon State University
Previous Club: Portland Timbers
Acquired: Acquired by the Rapids from the Portland Timbers on Feb. 28, 2013 in exchange for Colorado's 2015 first round MLS SuperDraft pick.
- Loaned to the New York Cosmos on August 28, 2014.
- Appeared in 13 matches, starting five during the regular season.
- Started nine of 11 matches played in Reserve League action, scoring three goals.
- Was acquired by the Portland Timbers on June 6 from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for forward Jorge Perlaza.
- His second goal against San Jose was nominated for MLS Goal of the Week for Week 29.
- Prior to joining the Timbers, appeared in nine games for the Union and recorded one assist.
- Helped the club to its first MLS playoff appearance and started both of Philadelphia’s postseason matches.
- Named No. 9 on MLSsoccer.com’s 24-Under-24 list of the top young players in the league.
- Was named to the 18-player roster that participated in a Generation adidas tour to the Netherlands.
- Drafted No. 1 overall in 2010 MLS SuperDraft by the Philadelphia Union as a member of Generation adidas, becoming the club’s first-ever MLS SuperDraft pick.
- Finished rookie season with a career-high seven goals and four assists.
- Made professional debut at the age of 18 on March 25, starting the team’s inaugural game at Seattle Sounders FC.
- Scored first career goal, a stoppage-time equalizer, May 15 against FC Dallas which won MLS Goal of the Week for Week 8.
- One of three finalists for the 2010 MLS Rookie of the Year.
- Had a standout collegiate career at Oregon State University, where he won Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2008 and Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009, the first OSU player to win the award.
- As a sophomore in 2009, scored a conference-best 14 goals and led the Pac-10 in multiple statistical categories, including game-winning goals (5) and goals per game (0.78).
- Named NSCAA Second Team All-American and was a finalist for the prestigious MAC Hermann Trophy.
- In total, compiled 18 goals and two assists in 29 collegiate matches for the Beavers.
- Played his prep soccer at Jefferson High School in North Portland, where he scored 53 goals in nine games during one season.
- Was named to the All-Star adidas ESP team in 2007.
- At the club level, played for adidas Timbers Alliance club Westside Timbers helping the club to a pair of state titles.
- Also played with Real Salt Lake U-18 in World Youth Championships in Spain.
- Born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- During the Congolese civil war, Mwanga’s father was killed and his mother moved to the United States, leaving Danny and his siblings behind with their grandmother. Mwanga moved to the U.S. in 2006, reuniting with his mother and sister in Portland, Ore.
- Became a U.S. citizen on June 24, 2013.