UPDATE, TUESDAY 10 AM ET: Toronto FC president Bill Manning was interviewed on TSN Radio on Tuesday morning and explained the current situation.
Quoting sources, The Athletic’s Joshua Kloke originally reported Giovinco skipped the team dinner and did not stay at the team’s hotel Sunday night. He reported that the 32-year-old Designated Player told people he was returning to Toronto.
However, according to a team representative the Atomic Ant is seeing a doctor in Los Angeles this morning about a leg issue and is expected back with TFC Monday afternoon.
On January 25, Al Jazirah, a daily newspaper in Saudi Arabia, claimed Giovinco had been issued an entry visa in advance of a possible move to Al-Hilal FC in the Saudi Professional League.
A team representative said an offer was made for Giovinco last week that was not considered serious by TFC.
Giovinco, who has one year remaining on his contract, has 68 goals and 52 assists in 114 regular season appearances.