Yeimar Gomez Andrade scored a go-ahead goal in the 69th minute to put the Sounders in the driver's seat, but Ruiz's incredible late tally would ensure the sides would split the points.
Seattle opened the scoring just before the half-hour mark after RSL defender Aaron Herrera was called for a handball in his own box, drawing a penalty kick whistle from referee Malik Badawi. Nicolas Lodeiro stepped up and drilled the attempt from the spot, putting Seattle up 1-0.
The hosts pushed for a go-ahead tally in the minutes following the goal, with Glad getting denied on another look off a corner in the 53rd minute that Frei thwarted with an acrobatic save.
RSL came just inches from a second goal again when Albert Rusnak unleashed a screaming shot from just outside the box that saw Frei go full extension to get a fingertip to the ball, sending it glancing off the post.
The Sounders would then jump back on top after right back Alex Roldan broke free from his defender and sent a cross into the box that Gomez Andrade smashed home with a thundering header for his first MLS goal. With the Sounders looking to see out the win, Ruiz found the leveler after a corner kick deflected out to him, allowing him to rip home a gorgeous swerving finish from deep outside the area.
RSL nearly found the game-winner as the match approached second-half stoppage time, but Marcelo Silva had his shot denied by another heroic save from Frei.
- 29' - SEA - Nicolas Lodeiro | WATCH
- 50' - RSL - Justen Glad | WATCH
- 69' - SEA - Yeimar Gomez Andrade | WATCH
- 85' - RSL - Pablo Ruiz | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's not a bad road point for Seattle on paper, especially considering their rotated lineup, but the Sounders will be disappointed at the manner in which they conceded each of these goals. For RSL, it was a nervy match, but they showed they can hang with a red-hot Seattle squad. In the end, both sides gave us arguably the most heart-pounding match of this midweek slate.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: This is just world-class from Ruiz, and it came at a crucial time with his team trailing late.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It has to be Stefan Frei. The Sounders might not be taking any points in this one if not for more heroics from their veteran backstop. Frei just continues to impress in his 12th MLS season.