Nick Rimando has played the final game in a legendary 20-year career, but the Real Salt Lake goalkeeper walks away with one more honor.
Rimando has won the 2019 MLS Save of the Year presented by Allstate, for an incredible double-save against the Colorado Rapids on Aug. 24. He beat out 15 other top stops from around MLS in the 2019 season, decided with an online vote.
Rimando’s two-save effort set the tone early for RSL to help his side earn a 2-0 victory against Colorado and capture the 2019 Rocky Mountain Cup. During the corner kick sequence, Rimando turned away the initial header, and the rebound found its way to Colorado’s Kei Kamara. Kamara’s point-blank attempt was fended off by Rimando, who while sprawled on the ground stretched with his left glove to make the goal-line save.
Rimando's career came to a close on Wednesday, after RSL lost in the Western Conference Semifinal, but Rimando came out swinging, making seven saves in his final match.
This is the third MLS Save of the Year award for Rimando, joining his honors in 2012 and 2013. The award was first established in 2009.
Save of the Year Winners
- 2019: Nick Rimando - RSL vs COL on August 24, 2019
- 2018: Stefan Frei - SEA vs COL on July 4, 2018
- 2017: Brad Guzan - ATL vs. RBNY on October 15, 2017
- 2016: Joe Bendik - SEA vs ORL on May 15, 2016
- 2015: Adam Kwarasey - POR vs RSL on August 15, 2015
- 2014: Luis Robles - RBNY vs SEA on September 20, 2014
- 2013: Nick Rimando - RSL vs COL on August 3, 20133
- 2012: Nick Rimando - RSL vs SKC on April 14, 2012
- 2011: Kasey Keller - SEA vs SJ on October 15, 2011
- 2010: Kasey Keller - SEA vs SKC on April 17, 2010
- 2009: Pat Onstad - HOU vs COL on April 19, 2009