David Villa and Rodney Wallace led New York City FC to a 4-0 romp over D.C. United in their 2017 home opener at chilly Yankee Stadium on Sunday afternoon, as the Spanish legend netted twice and Wallace notched a goal and an assist against his former club.
NYCFC had control of this one by halftime, as Wallace's side volley, Villa's expertly-taken header and a calm finish by Maxi Moralez gave City a 3-0 lead barely 40 minutes in. An uninspired United side rallied briefly after the break, but could not find a way past goalkeeper Sean Johnson, setting the stage for Villa to apply the coup de grace with a scintillating second.
- New arrivals Wallace, Moralez pace NYCFC vs. DC, promise even bigger upside
- Bronx blues: DC United's Yankee Stadium woes continue
- Parchman: Patrick Vieira, NYCFC back to romancing the Bronx in 2017
- 8' – NYC – Rodney Wallace Watch
- 28' – NYC – David Villa Watch
- 39' – NYC – Maximiliano Moralez Watch
- 75' – NYC – David Villa Watch
DAVID DESTROYS D.C.
continues to torture the Black-and-Red every time NYCFC and United meet, regardless of who's on the backline:
They Said It
"Today we were very aggressive with the three players up top setting the tempo of the game, making the other team make mistakes so we could collect the ball and play our game." - NYCFC winger Rodney Wallace