Despite the sloppy conditions, it was an eventful first half, with the teams combining for threee goals in eight minutes, shortly after New England had to make a defensive injury sub, swapping out DeJuan Jones for Brandon Bye. In the 22nd minute, Peruvian playmaker Edison Flores got his first-ever United assist, finding Yamil Asad with an excellent pass he was able to volley home. Four minutes later, Griffin Yow made it two on a solid strike, in the chaos ensuing after an Asad free kick.
The Revs were able to get one back, though, when Russell Canouse fouled Adam Buksa in the box. Carles Gil, in his first start since Achilles tendon surgery in August, pinged his PK attempt off the post. Buksa pounced on the rebound, however, and finished smartly. The Revs might have gotten more in the first half, but Bill Hamid had two key saves to deny the home team.
Less than nine minutes into the second half, the Revs got their equalizer, with Tajon Buchanan rounding Yow and sending a dangerous ball in that Canouse poked past Hamid for the own goal. Buchanan then made a similar run for the Revs' go-ahead goal, setting up Teal Bunbury.
="/players/tajon-buchanan">Tajon Buchanan rounding Yow and sending a dangerous ball in that Canouse poked past Hamid for the own goal. Buchanan then made a similar run for the Revs' go-ahead goal, setting up Teal Bunbury with a run to the end line and pass back to the waiting forward.
But then Gelmin Rivas, assisted by Flores, grabbed a 75th-minute equalizer in a sub role. That was short-lived, though, as Bunbury got a brace less than nine minutes later, finishing after halftime sub Gustavo Bou sent in an attempt that occupied Hamid.
- 22' – DC – Yamil Asad | WATCH
- 26' – DC – Griffin Yow | WATCH
- 30' – NE – Adam Buksa | WATCH
- 54' – NE – Russell Canouse (OG) | WATCH
- 67' – NE – Teal Bunbury | WATCH
- 75' – DC – Gelmin Rivas | WATCH
- 84' – NE – Teal Bunbury | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: For the Revs, the win puts them sixth in the East standings. Should things stay that way, they'll avoid the extra games that the East play-in would bring, though they'll have to finish on the road against a Philadelphia Union team who will be looking to secure a Supporters' Shield. DC could have used a win to help its long-shot playoff chances. While they're not out of the playoff picture officially yet, they're in considerably worse position than they were going into this match.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: There were lots of moments to appreciate, but clearly the game-winning goal from Bunbury was it.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: This goes to Bunbury for securing the final two goals of the game, but Buchanan deserves special mention for turning on the jets at key moments in the second half to engineer the own goal and Bunbury's first.