Gustavo Bou smashed a half-volley past Clement Diop, and a dominant New England Revolution side overcame some wastefulness in the final third to defeat the Montreal Impact 1-0 in both teams' Group C opener of the MLS is Back Tournament on Thursday night.
The Revolution outshot the Impact 19-7 and led 4-2 in efforts on target, but still required Matt Turner's exceptional save of Ballou Tabla's long-range effort in the sixth minute of second-half stoppage time to keep their advantage.
The whistle blew shortly after the ensuing corner kick, ensuring 3 points for the Revs and revenge for a 2-1, season-opening defeat back in Montreal on Feb. 29
- 56' - NE - Gustavo Bou | WATCH
Man of the Match Presented by Heineken
Bou was relentless all evening and might be frustrated he didn't have more to show for himself on the scoresheet, having missed a golden first-half chance and nearly setting up a second Revs goal with an 83rd-minute cross.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Rust is understandable, but this was easily the Impact's worst performance in six competitive games with Thierry Henry. The good news is they'll have nearly a full week's rest for their next game against rival Toronto FC, who will be facing a three-day turnaround.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It's a good thing the net was there to stop Bou's blistering strike or else it might still be traveling.
- YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Henry's kneeling in the coach's box in solidarity with Black Lives Matter was among the most discreet we've seen so far, and also among the most powerful.
- MTL: Wednesday, July 15 vs. Toronto FC (8 pm ET | TUDN, TSN, TVA Sports)
- NE: Thursday, July 16 vs. D.C. United (8 pm ET | FS1, TSN)