TORONTO FC MOVES LEAGUE UNDEFEATED STREAK INTO RAREFIED AIR
Toronto FC has moved to within touching distance of one of the lengthiest records in Major League Soccer history, following their 3-0 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BMO Field on Tuesday evening.
With the win, Toronto FC extended their league undefeated streak to 16 games, equaling the fifth-longest streak without a defeat in MLS history. TFC ended the 2019 regular season with a 10-game run without loss, and have started the 2020 campaign undefeated in six games in league matches, with three wins and three draws.
The MLS record is 19 consecutive games without a loss, set first by Columbus Crew SC from 2004 over the start of the 2005 season, then equaled by FC Dallas in 2010, the only club to go 19 consecutive league games undefeated in a single season.
LONGEST UNDEFEATED STREAK (MLS REGULAR SEASON)
<div>Columbus Crew SC</div>
<div>New York Red Bulls</div>
<div>Real Salt Lake</div>
<div>Real Salt Lake</div>
TIMBERS’ DIEGO VALERI POISED TO JOIN RARE 80-GOAL, 80-ASSIST CLUB
With his next goal in league play, Diego Valeri of the Portland Timbers will become just the third player in Major League Soccer history to reach 80 goals and 80 assists for his league career.
The only two players at this point to have reached the 80-goal, 80-assist mark are also the only two players in league history to reach the century mark in both goals and assists: Landon Donovan (145 goals, 136 assists) and Jaime Moreno (133 goals, 102 assists).
Valeri is currently alongside MLS legend Preki, the only other player in MLS history to have at least 79 goals and 79 assists for his league career. Bringing the threshold to 75 goals and 75 assists, just two more players join the list – Dwayne De Rosario (104 goals, 77 assists) and Steve Ralston (76 goals, 135 assists).
79 GOALS, 79 ASSISTS IN MLS LEAGUE PLAY
MLS WEEK 6 – LOOK AHEAD
NEW YORK RED BULLS vs. NEW YORK CITY FC
Thursday, August 20, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #66)
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
7 p.m. ET (MSG; YES)
REFEREE: Allen Chapman. AR1 (bench): Logan Brown; AR2 (opposite): Brian Dunn; 4th: Thomas Snyder; VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero; AVAR: Gjovalin Bori
MLS Career: 165 games; FC/gm: 22.2; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 41; pens: 73
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Red Bulls 7 wins, 29 goals … NYCFC 5 wins, 16 goals … Ties 2
AT RED BULL ARENA: Red Bulls 5 wins, 15 goals … NYCFC 1 win, 6 goals … Ties 1
- The Red Bulls did not advance out of the group stage in the MLS is Back Tournament, ending the event with a 2-0 loss to FC Cincinnati on July 22.
- NYCFC sweated out qualification to the Knockout Stage of the MLS is Back Tournament, before falling the quarterfinals to eventual champion Portland Timbers 3-1 on Aug. 1. NYCFC won one game in group play, defeating Inter Miami CF, then defeated Toronto FC 3-1 in the round-of-16.
- The teams met twice a season ago, each claiming a 2-1 win on their home ground. Daniel Royer scored goals on either side of halftime as the Red Bulls won July 14 at Red Bull Arena; on Aug. 24 at Yankee Stadium, Héber and Maximiliano Moralez scored on either side of halftime to lead NYCFC to the win.
- The Red Bulls have won seven of the 14 meetings all-time in league play, with a 29-16 goal differential. Included in that was a 7-0 Red Bulls win on May 21, 2016, at Yankee Stadium, the victory matching the largest margin of victory in MLS history (and the seven goals by the Red Bulls their club record). In all competitions, the Red Bulls have won nine of 16 matches, with two draws, with a 33-16 goal differential. NYCFC have won four of the last eight league meetings, with one draw, over the last three years.
scored the Red Bulls lone goal of the MLS is Back Tournament, four minutes into the opening match, a 1-0 win vs. Atlanta United.
led NYCFC with three goals in the MLS is Back Tournament, including goals in both matches in the Knockout Stage.
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION vs. PHILADELPHIA UNION
Thursday, August 20, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #67)
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass.
7:30 p.m. ET (NBCS-Bos; PHL 17)
REFEREE: Robert Sibiga. AR1 (bench): Claudiu Badea; AR2 (opposite): Ian McKay; 4th: Adam Kilpatrick; VAR: Alan Kelly; AVAR: Thomas Supple
MLS Career: 104 games; FC/gm: 21.9; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 24; pens: 29
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Revolution 6 wins, 31 goals … Union 14 wins, 47 goals … Ties 5
AT NEW ENGLAND: Revolution 3 wins, 16 goals … Union 5 wins, 18 goals … Ties 3
- The teams met in the MLS is Back Tournament Knockout Stage, the Union claiming a 1-0 win in the round-of-16 match July 25. Sergio Santos scored the game’s lone goal; Andre Blake recorded five saves for the shutout.
- The Revolution reached the Knockout Stage with a win and two draws, conceding just one goal in the three group games.
- The Union reached the semifinals of the event, before losing 2-1 to the eventual champion Portland Timbers. The Union won four out of six matches in the competition.
- The teams met twice a season ago. All three Union substitutes scored – just the second time in MLS history that occurred – as they equaled their club record in a 6-1 win on May 4 at Talen Energy Stadium. They then reached a 1-1 draw June 26 at Gillette Stadium.
- The Union have won seven of the past nine league meetings between the clubs, outscoring New England 22-3 in those victories. The only Revolution win in the series since 2015 came on July 29, 2017, at Gillette Stadium, a 3-0 victory, before the draw in the last meeting.
scored the Revolution’s goals in the MLS is Back Tournament.
was named the winner of the MLS is Back Tournament Golden Glove, leading all goalkeepers with 32 saves while recording a pair of shutouts. …
led the Union with three goals (to go with one assist) – all coming during the Knockout Stage.
COLUMBUS CREW SC vs. CHICAGO FIRE FC
Thursday, August 20, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #68)
Mapfre Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
7:30 p.m. ET (FS-OH; ESPN+ / WGN-TV)
REFEREE: Guido Gonzales Jr. AR1 (bench): Cory Richardson; AR2 (opposite): Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein; 4th: Lukasz Szpala; VAR: Sorin Stoica; AVAR: Craig Lowry
MLS Career: 6 games; FC/gm: 22.3; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 3; pens: 2
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Crew SC 19 wins (0 shootout), 98 goals … Fire 26 wins (1 shootout), 91 goals … Ties 21
AT COLUMBUS: Crew SC 13 wins (0 shootout), 59 goals … Fire 10 wins (1 shootout), 40 goals … Ties 9
- Columbus Crew SC had their MLS is Back Tournament put to end following a loss in a penalty shootout following a 1-1 draw with Minnesota United FC in the round-of-16. Crew SC were the only team to post three wins in three matches in the group phase.
- Chicago Fire FC had their MLS is Back Tournament participation come to an end on the final day of group play, following a 2-0 loss to Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
- The teams met twice a season ago, reaching a pair of draws, a 2-2 result on July 17 at SeatGeek Stadium, and a 1-1 deadlock Aug. 31 at Mapfre Stadium.
- Crew SC have a nine-game home undefeated streak alive in the all-time series. The Fire last won in Columbus on June 22, 2013. The Fire are undefeated in their last six home meetings with Crew SC, with two wins and four draws, Crew SC’s last win in Bridgeview, Ill., coming in 2015.
Crew SC conceded the fewest goals in the MLS is Back Tournament – just a single goal against over four matches. They had their shutout streak snapped at 287 minutes in the round-of-16 match vs. Minnesota United. …
led Crew SC with four goals in the competition, scoring the lone goal in the Knockout Stage match.
scored the Fire’s first goal in the MLS is Back Tournament. …
scored his first career goal and added his first career assist.
FC CINCINNATI vs. D.C. UNITED
Friday, August 21, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #69)
Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
7:30 p.m. ET (WSTR – Star 64)
REFEREE: Rubiel Vazquez. AR1 (bench): C.J. Morgante; AR2 (opposite): Jason White; 4th: Luis Guardia; VAR: Hilario Grajeda; AVAR: Jeffrey Swartzel
MLS Career: 34 games; FC/gm: 22.0; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 7; pens: 6
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: FCC 0 wins, 1 goal … United 1 win, 4 goals … Ties 1
AT CINCINNATI: FCC 0 wins, 1 goal … United 1 win, 4 goals … Ties 0
- FC Cincinnati reached the round-of-16 in the MLS is Back Tournament, falling in a penalty shootout to eventual champion Portland Timbers following a 1-1 draw. FCC booked their place in the Knockout Stage with wins in their final two group games, defeating Atlanta United and the New York Red Bulls.
- D.C. United had their participation in the MLS is Back Tournament come to an end following a 1-0 loss to the Montréal Impact in the final game in group play, after draws in their opening two matches.
- The teams met twice in FC Cincinnati’s inaugural season. Lucas Rodríguez scored a pair of goals and added an assist, as D.C. United rolled to a 4-1 win July 18 at Nippert Stadium; the teams played to a goalless draw on Decision Day (Oct. 6) at Audi Field.
Yuya Kubo, Frankie Amaya
netted the goals for FC Cincinnati in the MLS is Back Tournament.
started off his D.C. United career with goals in the first two matches of the MLS is Back Tournament, making appearances in each of the three games.
MINNESOTA UNITED FC vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY
Friday, August 21, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #70)
Allianz Field, St. Paul, Minn.
6:30 p.m. CT (FS-North+; FS-KC+)
REFEREE: Ramy Touchan. AR1 (bench): Eric Weisbrod; AR2 (opposite): Kathryn Nesbitt; 4th: Ismir Pekmic; VAR: Nima Saghafi; AVAR: Jose da Silva
MLS Career: 26 games; FC/gm: 25.8; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 3; pens: 4
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: MNUFC 3 wins, 9 goals … Sporting 4 wins, 13 goals … Ties 2
AT MINNESOTA: MNUFC 2 wins, 6 goals … Sporting 0 wins, 3 goals … Ties 2
- The teams met in group play during the MLS is Back Tournament. Kevin Molino scored the game-winner seven minutes deep into second-half stoppage time as Minnesota United FC claimed the 2-1 win on July 12.
- Minnesota United FC reached the semifinals of the MLS is Back Tournament, where they fell 3-1 to Orlando City SC. They knocked off Columbus Crew SC (on penalties) in the round-of-16, then the San Jose Earthquakes 4-1 in the quarterfinals.
- Sporting got to the quarterfinal stage of the MLS is Back Tournament, where they suffered a 3-1 loss to the Philadelphia Union. They defeated Vancouver Whitecaps FC on penalty kicks in the round-of-16 after a scoreless draw.
- The teams met twice a season ago, each winning on its home ground. Sporting claimed a 1-0 win on a goal from Erik Hurtado two minutes from time on Aug. 22 at Children’s Mercy Park, then Minnesota United FC took a 2-1 win Sept. 25 at Allianz Field. The MNUFC win snapped a six-game Sporting undefeated streak in the league series, all in Kansas City; SKC has won all five matchups at home over all competitions.
- The teams have also met twice in three years in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, with Minnesota United taking a 4-1 win on June 12, 2019 at Allianz Field. Sporting won by a 4-0 decision in a fourth-round match in 2017.
scored two goals in the MLS is Back Tournament Knockout Stage, tying Ethan Finlay for the club lead in the event.
scored his second goal of the MLS is Back Tournament in the quarterfinal match vs. Philadelphia, his second of the event, tying
for the club lead.
TORONTO FC vs. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
Friday, August 21, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #71)
BMO Field, Toronto, Ont.
8 p.m. ET (TSN 4 / 5)
REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. AR1 (bench): Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho; AR2 (opposite): Philippe Briere; 4th: Fabrizio Stasolla; VAR: Geoff Gamble; AVAR: Chantal Boudreau
MLS Career: 158 games; FC/gm: 27.6; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 25; pens: 39
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Toronto FC 5 wins, 20 goals … Whitecaps FC 4 wins, 16 goals … Ties 2
AT BMO FIELD: Toronto FC 3 wins, 12 goals … Whitecaps FC 2 wins, 9 goals … Ties 1
- Toronto FC won the first game of the two-game set over four days, defeating Whitecaps FC at BMO Field on Tuesday evening.
- TFC extended their overall undefeated streak in league play to 16 matches, dating back to last Aug. 10, equaling the fifth-longest undefeated streak in MLS history.
- Pablo Piatti netted a pair of goals, his first goals for TFC in league play. Piatti recorded his first league assist during the MLS is Back Tournament, in the 4-3 win vs. Montréal Impact on July 26.
- The TFC win was the first by the home team in the league series since 2013, when Whitecaps FC claimed a 1-0 win at BC Place. The away team had won four of the six matches in between, with two draws, including four in a row from 2015-18.
- The teams also met in the final of the Canadian Championship in 2018, with TFC winning the title 7-4 on aggregate, including a 5-2 win in the second leg at BMO Field. It was the second consecutive year the clubs met for the Canadian domestic title, the fourth time overall, and TFC have won all four. On three occasions (2011, 2012, 2018), the teams played to a first-leg draw in Vancouver; then, Toronto won the second leg at home.
was credited with one save in recording his second shutout this season, his sixth in 33 career league appearances. …
scored his first goal of the 2020 season, his last in league play coming last Sept. 7 vs. FC Cincinnati (DeLeon netted a pair of goals during Toronto FC’s run to 2019 MLS Cup last year, vs. D.C. United and at Atlanta United). …
recorded a pair of assists, the third two-assist game of his MLS league career.
conceded his first goals from open play as a professional, his shutout streak over all competitions ending at 239 minutes.
HOUSTON DYNAMO vs. FC DALLAS
Friday, August 21, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #72)
BBVA Stadium, Houston, Texas
7 p.m. CT (QuestTEXAS 55; TXA-21 / FCDTV)
REFEREE: Alex Chilowicz. AR1 (bench): Adam Garner; AR2 (opposite): Chris Elliott; 4th: Elton Garcia; VAR: Rosendo Mendoza; AVAR: Jonathan Johnson
MLS Career: 29 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 4; pens: 10
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Dynamo 11 wins, 51 goals … FC Dallas 11 wins, 56 goals … Ties 13
AT HOUSTON: Dynamo 8 wins, 30 goals … FC Dallas 4 wins, 27 goals … Ties 6
- The Dynamo completed group play in the MLS is Back Tournament with a 1-1 draw with the LA Galaxy, their second draw in three matches in the event.
- FC Dallas reached a goalless draw with Nashville SC in a rain-delayed match Sunday evening at Toyota Stadium. They kicked off continuation of the 2020 MLS season four days earlier with a 1-0 loss to Nashville in Frisco.
- The teams met twice a season ago, each winning on their home ground. Mauro Manotas netted both Dynamo goals as they took a 2-1 win on May 4 at BBVA Stadium; FC Dallas took a 5-1 win on Aug. 25 at Toyota Stadium, their heaviest victory in the history of the series.
- The win in the opening match last year was just the second for the Dynamo in the series over the last seven seasons. Since the start of 2013, FC Dallas are 8-2-6 in league play against Houston, and have won the three meetings between the teams in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
- The Dynamo haven’t won in Frisco since 2011, FCD winning the last two there. Dallas has won five of the 11 matches (with three draws) between the teams over all competitions at BBVA Stadium.
- The clubs play for “El Capitán,” the 19th-century Mountain Howitzer cannon to be awarded to the winner of the season series by supporters’ groups for both clubs.
netted the Dynamo goal in the last MLS is Back Tournament match vs. the LA Galaxy. …
led the club with two goals in the event.
was credited with seven saves in recording the shutout vs. Nashville SC, his first of the season and fifth of his MLS career, his last coming Aug. 18, 2018 vs. Minnesota United.
LOS ANGELES FOOTBALL CLUB vs. LA GALAXY
Saturday, August 22, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #73)
Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, Calif.
3 p.m. PT (FOX / FOX Deportes)
REFEREE: Ismail Elfath. AR1 (bench): Frank Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Cameron Blanchard; 4th: Alejandro Mariscal; VAR: Kevin Stott; AVAR: Michael Kampmeinert
MLS Career: 148 games; FC/gm: 25.5; Y/gm: 3.2; R: 43; pens: 48
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: LAFC 1 win, 17 goals … Galaxy 2 wins, 15 goals … Ties 3
AT LAFC: LAFC 0 wins, 5 goals … Galaxy 0 wins, 5 goals … Ties 2
- LAFC went undefeated through five matches in the MLS is Back Tournament, but fell on penalty kicks in the quarterfinals following a 1-1 draw with Orlando City SC. LAFC is undefeated in seven matches vs. MLS competition this season.
- The Galaxy concluded their MLS is Back Tournament participation in the group stage, reaching a 1-1 draw with the Houston Dynamo in their final match.
- The teams met in group play in the MLS is Back Tournament – and it was another historic meeting. Diego Rossi scored four goals – the 13th player in league history to net that many in a game – and combined for five goals and assists, as LAFC won 6-2 on July 18. It was the eighth time in MLS history a player had five goals plus assists in a game, Rossi the first player to do it twice. The win marked the first time in league play LAFC defeated the Galaxy.
- There have been 40 goals scored in the seven meetings in all competitions between the clubs.
- The teams met twice during the regular season last year. Zlatan Ibrahimović scored a hat trick, overcoming a pair of goals from Carlos Vela, as the Galaxy claimed a 3-2 win July 19 at Dignity Health Sports Park. Then on Aug. 25 at Banc of California Stadium, Ibrahimović scored two more goals and Cristian Pavón had a goal and an assist – all within the opening 16 minutes – but Latif Blessing netted a brace before the halftime break and Vela scored the leveler early in the second half, leaving the teams in a 3-3 draw.
- The teams then met in the Western Conference Semifinals – and LAFC came away victors, claiming a wild 5-3 victory at Banc of California Stadium on Oct. 24, as Vela scored two goals and added an assist.
- The teams met three times in LAFC’s inaugural campaign. The Galaxy took a dramatic 4-3 victory in the first ever LA derby, coming back from a three-goal deficit behind a pair of goals from Ibrahimović, playing in his first MLS game, on March 31 at Banc of California Stadium. The teams played to draws in their final two meetings, a 2-2 result on July 26 at Banc of California Stadium, and a 1-1 match Aug. 24 in Carson, Calif.
won the MLS is Back Tournament Golden Boot with seven goals, and led all players with a combined 10 goals and assists. … Rossi was named the MLS is Back Young Player of the Tournament and to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI. …
scored four goals in the MLS is Back Tournament, three coming in group play; he sits seventh on the MLS all-time goalscoring leaders with 111 career league goals. … Latif Blessing and Brian Rodríguez were tied for third in assists in the MLS is Back Tournament with four each.
scored his second goal of the MLS is Back Tournament in the Galaxy’s finale vs. Houston; he also had an assist, part of all three goals netted by Galaxy players in the event (one goal came from an own goal).
ATLANTA UNITED vs. NASHVILLE SC
Saturday, August 22, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #74)
Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Ga.
7 p.m. ET (FS-South; MyTV30)
REFEREE: Ted Unkel. AR1 (bench): Corey Rockwell; AR2 (opposite): Walter Heatherly; 4th: Marcos de Oliveira; VAR: Chris Penso; AVAR: Jeff Muschik
MLS Career: 98 games; FC/gm: 23.4; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 32; pens: 53
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: ATLUTD 1 win, 2 goals … Nashville SC 0 wins, 1 goal … Ties 0
AT ATLANTA: First meeting.
- Atlanta United concluded their participation in the MLS is Back Tournament with a 1-0 loss to Columbus Crew SC on July 21; all three defeats in the competition came by the game’s lone goal.
- Nashville SC completed their two-game series with FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium with a goalless draw on Sunday evening; four days earlier, the club won the first match of its MLS history, a 1-0 triumph behind a late goal from David Accam.
- The teams met in the season opener for both clubs this season, the first match in Nashville SC’s history. Ezequiel Barco and Emerson Hyndman scored first-half goals as Atlanta United claimed a 2-1 win Feb. 29 at Nissan Stadium.
have scored all four ATLUTD goals this season, netting a pair each, each scoring in the club’s opening two matches this season on Feb. 29 vs. Nashville and March 7 vs. FC Cincinnati.
was credited with one save in recording a second consecutive shutout, the 20th of his MLS career. Willis and Nashville SC have not conceded a goal in the last 258 minutes, equaling the second-longest shutout streak in MLS this season.
INTER MIAMI CF vs. ORLANDO CITY SC
Saturday, August 22, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #75)
Inter Miami CF Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
3 p.m. ET (CBS 4 (WFOR)/UniMas 60; FOX35 Plus)
REFEREE: Armando Villarreal. AR1 (bench): Corey Parker; AR2 (opposite): Matthew Osterhouse; 4th: Elvis Osmanovic; VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.; AVAR: Jozef Batko
MLS Career: 140 games; FC/gm: 22.2; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 27; pens: 33
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Inter Miami 0 wins, 1 goal … Orlando City 1 win, 2 goals … Ties 0
AT MIAMI: First meeting.
- The teams have faced once all-time, kicking off the MLS is Back Tournament against each other at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Chris Mueller canceled out a Juan Agudelo goal, then Nani netted the game-winner well into stoppage time to give OCSC the 2-1 win on July 8.
- Inter Miami completed their participation in the MLS is Back Tournament with a 1-0 loss to New York City FC on July 20.
- Orlando City SC reached the final of the MLS is Back Tournament, where they fell 2-1 to the Portland Timbers. OCSC was undefeated in the six matches leading to the championship game, winning four.
netted the Inter Miami goals in the MLS is Back Tournament. …
added a pair of assists.
was named to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI after scoring three goals (tied for sixth-most) and adding four assists (tied for third-most). …
also netted three goals …
were also named to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI.
COLORADO RAPIDS vs. REAL SALT LAKE
Saturday, August 22, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #76)
Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, Colo.
7 p.m. MT (Altitude; KMYU-12)
REFEREE: Fotis Bazakos. AR1 (bench): Brian Poeschel; AR2 (opposite): TJ Zablocki; 4th: Victor Rivas; VAR: Younes Marrakchi; AVAR: Fabio Tovar
MLS Career: 94 games; FC/gm: 26.1; Y/gm: 3.8; R: 19; pens: 36
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Rapids 13 wins, 42 goals … Real 22 wins, 67 goals … Ties 11
AT COLORADO: Rapids 10 wins, 27 goals … Real 7 wins, 27 goals … Ties 5
- The teams met in group play at the MLS is Back Tournament, Albert Rusnák and Damir Kreilach netting goals as RSL claimed a 2-0 win on July 12.
- The Rapids concluded their participation in the MLS is Back Tournament with a 2-2 draw with Minnesota United FC.
- Real Salt Lake ended their play in MLS is Back Tournament following a 5-2 loss to the San Jose Earthquakes in the round-of-16.
- The teams met twice a season ago, and Real Salt Lake won both – a 3-2 win May 11 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, and a 2-0 win at Rio Tinto Stadium on Aug. 24. Real have not lost in the last six meetings vs. the Rapids, winning five, over the last three seasons.
- Real have a 17-game home undefeated streak alive vs. Colorado. Since the Rapids’ last win in Utah, a 2-0 victory on April 30, 2007, at Rice-Eccles Stadium, Real have won 13 games with four draws. Colorado has never won at Rio Tinto Stadium (0-11-4 all-time in league play). RSL has won the last two meetings in Commerce City; they have come away with points on seven of their past 10 trips there (five wins, two draws, dating back to 2013).
- The rivals play for the Rocky Mountain Cup, a trophy awarded by the supporters’ groups of both teams.
led the Rapids with a pair of goals in the MLS is Back Tournament, both coming in the last two games, both after he had come off the substitutes’ bench.
led Real with two goals in the MLS is Back Tournament, the second coming in the Knockout Stage match vs. San Jose.
PORTLAND TIMBERS vs. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC
Sunday, August 23, 2020 (Week 6, MLS Game #77)
Providence Park, Portland, Ore.
7 p.m. PT (FS1 / FOX Deportes)
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Timbers 8 wins, 37 goals … Sounders FC 11 wins, 41 goals … Ties 6
AT PORTLAND: Timbers 6 wins, 27 goals … Sounders FC 4 wins, 22 goals … Ties 3
- The Timbers won the first-ever MLS is Back Tournament, claiming the title with a 2-1 win against Orlando City SC in the final. The Timbers’ goals came from their central defense pairing – Larrys Mabiala scored before halftime, then Dario Zuparic hit for the eventual match-winner.
- Sounders FC saw their MLS is Back Tournament end following a 4-1 loss to Los Angeles Football Club in the round-of-16.
- The teams met twice a season ago – and the away team again won both. Brian Fernandez scored goals on either side of halftime, leading the Timbers to a dramatic 2-1 win on July 21 at CenturyLink Field. Cristian Roldan and Raúl Ruidíaz then scored on each side of the interval to lead Sounders FC to a 2-1 win Aug. 23 at Providence Park.
- The last four league meetings in the series have been won by the away team. Sounders FC have won the last two regular-season matchups at Providence Park, the win in 2018 their first win in Portland since 2014. When the Timbers took a 4-1 win on June 28, 2015, the three-goal victory equaled Portland’s largest margin of victory against the Sounders since 1977.
- The Timbers have won the last two meetings at CenturyLink Field – their only wins ever in Seattle in MLS regular season games (Sounders FC were 7-0-3 leading up to that match), though the Timbers won at home in the MLS Cup Playoffs meeting between the clubs.
- The Timbers also won a fourth-round U.S. Open Cup match between the clubs last season, a 2-1 win on June 12 at CenturyLink Field, as Fernandez netted both Portland goals.
- The teams also met in 2018 in the MLS Cup Playoffs, the Timbers winning in a dramatic penalty shootout in the Western Conference Quarterfinals after ending 4-4 on aggregate. The Timbers won the first leg 2-1 at Providence Park, then Sounders FC won 3-2 in extra time, sending the tie to the decider. It was a second win in a playoff series for the Timbers, also winning the 2013 Western Conference Semifinals.
- The Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers have met 107 times in all competitions, the most between two U.S.-based clubs, the second-most in U.S./Canadian soccer history. Since their first meeting in 1975 in the old North American Soccer League, Seattle has won 53 times and Portland has won 40, with 14 draws. In MLS league play, Sounders FC have won 11 matches, the Timbers have won eight, and six have been draws.
was named the MLS is Back Player of the Tournament and to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI, tied for the assist lead with five while scoring three goals. …
was also named to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI, netting three goals. … Defender
were also named to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI.
scored the Sounders FC goal in the round-of-16 match vs. LAFC, his first in a competitive match since April 13, 2019, when he netted a brace vs. Toronto FC.