The Seattle Sounders extended their MLS unbeaten run to seven games on Saturday, as they defeated Minnesota United FC 4-0 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.
The Sounders opened the scoring in the first 10 minutes, as Clint Dempsey and Will Bruin combined on a counterattack, with Bruin finishing the play with a goal. Less than 10 minutes later, the visitors were up 2-0, as a well-worked corner kick was turned in on the doorstep by Dempsey.
Seattle picked up where they left off in the second half, with Jordan Morris adding to the lead and Dempsey scoring his second of the night to ensure three points from the visitors.
- 9' – SEA – Will Bruin Watch
- 18' – SEA – Clint Dempsey Watch
- 71' – SEA – Jordan Morris Watch
- 73' – SEA – Clint Dempsey Watch
- COUNTER PUNCH: The Sounders scored three of their four goals on the night off the counterattack, and sliced through Minnesota's defense numerous times besides. In hindsight, it appeared Seattle had the perfect gameplan for Minnesota, who were missing leading scorer Christian Ramirez due to injury. Either way, the fact that the Sounders' primary scorers all got on the board in this game should help them gain some momentum for the games to come.
- LOON REVERSAL: The task was always going to be harder for MNUTD with Ramirez out, although rookie Abu Danladi had his share of chances to tally. But the big issue for Minnesota was the result reversed last week's result, where they won 4-0 over D.C. United, also at home. It looked like that win was something Adrian Heath's squad could upon, but this game may have made it a "two steps forward, two steps back" scenario.
- REMATCH COMING: The Sounders have another game in the meantime, but these teams will meet again in two weeks, in Seattle. With Minnesota being off in the meantime, expect plenty of preparation for the rematch, to prevent another comprehensive loss against the defending MLS Cup champion.
- MIN: Sunday, Aug. 20 – at Seattle (9:30 pm ET | FS1, Fox Deportes, TSN in Canada)
- SEA: Saturday, Aug. 12 – vs. Kansas City (4 pm ET | MLS LIVE)