The Inter Miami brain trust are big fans of Argentinean manager Mauricio Pochettino and want figures of his caliber and reputation to be involved in their fledgling club, owner Jorge Mas made clear on Thursday.
But even though Pochettino was dismissed by Tottenham Hotspur earlier this week – mere months after leading them on an upstart run to the UEFA Champions League final – he won’t be joining the 2020 MLS expansion side just yet.
“I was with Mauricio Pochettino about a month ago with [Inter co-owner David [Beckham] – I have to be careful what I say,” Mas told an audience at the Soccerex convention in Aventura, Florida. “I have huge admiration for him. He’s interested in our project and what we’re doing; but I don’t think he will be our coach in 2020.”
Jorge Mas Interview - 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
As Mas told MLSsoccer.com during Tuesday’s Expansion Draft, Inter have already selected their first-ever head coach and will officially announce as much in the coming days; thus Pochettino became available too late in the process to be considered. Media reports have cited River Plate boss and onetime D.C. United Designated Player Marcelo Gallardo as a leading candidate for the Miami job.
But don’t rule out the possibility of “Poch,” who Spurs replaced with Jose Mourinho, donning Miami’s pink and black crest in the years to come.
“I do think that Mauricio Pochettino and coaches like him will be part of the Inter Miami project. We have made our choice for a coach, and it will be announced very soon. I’d love to have Mauricio Pochettino as coach at Inter Miami some day,” said Mas. “He’s a tremendous coach, leader and man and will be successful wherever he goes.”