The New York Red Bulls picked up a big road victory, riding an opening penalty kick from Mandela Egbo and goals from Brian White, Ben Mines and Daniel Royer to a 4-1 victory over Inter Miami CF on Wednesday.
After falling behind 1-0 thanks to the early PK, Miami fought back and leveled the contest when Juan Agudelo found a goal a few minutes before the halftime break. But White's first goal of the season just after the second-half restart would give the visitors a lead they wouldn't relinquish, as Mines and Royer put it out of reach with a pair of late tallies.
RBNY had a great look at the opener as the contest neared the 10-minute mark, when Mathias Jorgensen found himself with a breakaway attempt off a pinpoint throughball from Jared Stroud. Jorgensen beat Miami goalkeeper Luis Robles with the shot, but it rang off the crossbar.
The visitors would find their opener just a few minutes later, though, as Blaise Matuidi got tangled up with Stroud in his own penalty area, drawing a penalty kick whistle from referee Alex Chilowicz. That allowed Egbo to step to the spot, where he coolly sent Robles the wrong way and slotted home the finish to put RBNY ahead on 14 minutes.
Agudelo found Miami's equalizer in the 38th minute after a giveaway deep in RBNY's end allowed Matias Pellegrini to loft a ball over the top into the path of the veteran forward, who slotted the finish past Red Bulls' goalkeeper David Jensen and into the net.
RBNY jumped back out in front shortly after second-half kickoff, on a sequence that started when Ben Sweat was dispossessed on the left side of his own box. The ball eventually made its way to Omir Fernandez, who set up White with a cross for an easy finish.
Mines added the first insurance tally in the 85th, toe-poking home a rebound after Tom Barlow had the initial shot saved at the backend of a counter-attack, before Royer joined the party with the final goal in the first minute of second-half stoppage time.
- 14' - RBNY - Mandela Egbo (PK) | WATCH
- 38' - MIA - Juan Agudelo | WATCH
- 49' - RBNY - Brian White | WATCH
- 85' - RBNY - Ben Mines | WATCH
- 90'+1 - RBNY - Daniel Royer | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's been a tumultuous season for RBNY that saw them get off to a slow start and part ways with their coach, but with this emphatic three-point result they remain right in the thick of it above the Eastern Conference playoff line. Perhaps a big win on the road is what they needed to kick off a more consistent run of form than we've seen from them thus far in 2020.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The momentum seemed to have swung to Miami near the end of the first half, culminating in Agudelo's equalizer that made it anybody's game. Then White turned that on its head with the go-ahead goal that put his team up for good.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: RBNY's third goal was probably a cathartic moment for Ben Mines, who hasn't scored a first-team goal since his MLS debut in 2018. We'll give the nod to the 20-year-old for getting back on the scoresheet.