FC Cincinnati continued their all-time streak of winning at least one U.S. Open Cup game each year, as they defeated USL Championship side Louisville City FC 2-1 in the fourth round at Nippert Stadium on Wednesday.
Cincinnati opened the scoring by capitalizing on a mistake in the 23rd minute, as Fanendo Adi stripped Louisville City defender Paco Craig on the edge of the 18-yard-box, dribbled towards goal and beat goalkeeper Chris Hubbard with a low diagonal shot. But Louisville's Lucky Mkosana tied up the game minutes later, deflecting a Magnus Rasmussen cross after an FC Cincy miscue in the back.
After a scoreless second half, the game went to 30 minutes of extra time with the score tied 1-1. Kekuta Manneh gave Cincinnati the lead near the end of the first extra time period. The ball pinged all over the park in the buildup, before Emmanuel Ledesma crossed to Manneh, who headed it in with authority.
- THE BIG PICTURE: This game resumed the "Dirty River Derby" and with the win Cincinnati took the all-time series lead at 5-4-2. Beyond that, getting a good result in the Open Cup could be the kind of boost Yoann Damet's side needs, as they have endured a difficult debut season in MLS so far.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: All three goals were good, but Manneh's winner gets the edge for performing when the pressure was high.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Adi and Manneh offered real quality and that won out on the night, but Louisville City midfielder Magnus Rasmussen gave the MLS side fits, as he set up his side's goal and kept the home defense on edge throughout.
- CIN: U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - June 18-23, opponent TBD
- LOU: Sunday, June 16 at NYRBII (3 pm ET | ESPN+) | USL Championship