Didier Drogba has been a popular topic of conversation in Montreal recently – but not necessarily because of his on-field exploits.
The star forward has now missed the Impact's last two league games with a thigh injury, and it was reported in some corners that he would be off to Turkey to take part in a charity match on July 16, despite the Impact having a nationally televised home game on July 17 (vs. NYCFC at 5 pm ET on ESPN).
However, Drogba took to his Twitter account to deny those rumors and clarify his status while his teammates were playing Real Salt Lake to a 1-1 road draw. He put up a video accompanying a tweet that said, "Stop the false controversies and focus on the game."
"People don't know where I am," he said in the video. "I'm in Qatar, I'm with my physio, or someone else.
"I'm home, relaxing, watching the Montreal Impact game. Come on guys! Go Impact go!"
Drogba, the 38-year-old Ivorian star who joined the Impact last summer, has been a revelation for the MLS club. He scored 11 goals in 11 games to lead Montreal to the 2015 postseason, and currently has five goals and five assists through 10 games so far in 2016. Needless to say, fans in Quebec are itching to see their hero return, and he finished off his video with this news:
"[I'm] in full recovery." he said. "Next week [vs. NYCFC], I'm back. Ciao fans, I love you guys!"
Before hosting NYCFC on July 17, the Impact will travel to take on the MLS Cup champion Portland Timbers on Wednesday night (10:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE).