Marco Fabian scored his first MLS brace and the Philadelphia Union returned to the top of the Eastern Conference standings following a 5-1 victory over 10-man D.C. United on Sunday evening at Audi Field.
Alejandro Bedoya opened the scoring, Kacper Przybylko hit his 10th of the season and Fafa Picault added a goal late for Philly, who ran their winning streak to five matches against D.C. in MLS regular season play.
Przybylko might've also had a brace had he not skied his penalty after drawing a foul when the match was still 1-0 that led to Junior Moreno's dismissal.
Frederic Brillant scored on a set piece for D.C., who now have a record of 4-5-4 at Audi Field this season. They lost just twice in just 15 matches last season after opening the new venue in July of 2018.
SeatGeek has great deals for upcoming MLS matches
Official Ticketing Partner of Major League Soccer
- 3' - PHI - Alejandro Bedoya | WATCH
- 45'+2' - PHI - Marco Fabian | WATCH
- 52' - PHI - Kacper Przybylko | WATCH
- 54' - DC - Frederick Brillant | WATCH
- 72' - PHI - Marco Fabian | WATCH
- 90' - PHI - Fafa Picault | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: After sitting first or second in the Eastern Conference for much of the season, D.C. are now fourth after winning only two of their last 15 games, and more alarmingly, only four points above the playoff line. It won't get any easier for the Black-and-Red, who must rebound from a horrific defensive night to try and shut down Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the LA Galaxy.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: You might have missed it if you were waiting on your concession order or grabbing a snack from the fridge, but Alejandro Bedoya's third-minute strike set the tone for Philadelphia's dominant evening.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Marco Fabian. It's been a longtime coming for the Mexican playmaker. But in his first visit to rival D.C., Fabian enjoyed what was easily his best match since his MLS arrival, scoring twice, contributing to the sequence that saw Moreno sent off, and generally bossing affairs for the visitors. His emphatic finish for his first goal was one of the best this week.