On a night where lower-division underdogs sprung upsets elsewhere, the LA Galaxy ensured the top flight side moved on in Wednesday’s 2017 U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 clash against USL’s Sacramento Republic FC, with the MLS team winning 2-0 at StubHub Center Track and Field Stadium.
After an opening half in which both teams had chances but the game remained scoreless, LA got down to business early in the second half, with Ariel Lassiter scoring off a free kick in the 47th minute, before Bradford Jamieson scored from the run of play to double the lead just two minutes later.
- 47’ – LA – Ariel Lassiter
- 49’ – LA – Bradford Jamieson
- AVOIDING THE UPSET: With the other two Division II sides in action this round winning their games (FC Cincinnati over Chicago Fire, Miami FC besting Atlanta United FC) LA had to be wary of the challenge posed by Republic, who won their first ever competitive game over an MLS side in the previous round against Real Salt Lake. But chalk won out in the end, with the Galaxy side, largely composed of players who have seen time together this season and in the past for LA Galaxy II, were up to the task and reached the quarterfinals for the third straight year.
- YOUNGSTERS GET THE JOB DONE: In fact, the game had the feeling of a USL game, with almost every player having had USL experience in the past and LA using three or four players who are getting regular starts in MLS at the moment. But in addition to the tallies from Lassiter and Jamieson, the win shows the growing depth of the Galaxy's squad. The challenge will certainly get tougher moving forward in the tournament, but Curt Onalfo is drawing upon a larger portion of his squad and the results, at least so far in the Open Cup, are coming.
- CALI CLASICO(S) COMING: With the win, the Galaxy can now look ahead to Saturday's California Clasico showdown at Stanford Stadium against the San Jose Earthquakes. The rivalry flies under the radar a bit nationally but is surely fierce nonetheless. And as a result of the Round of 16 outcomes on Wednesday, the Galaxy will face -- you guessed it -- the Quakes in the quarterfinals of the Open Cup, Jul. 10 at Avaya Stadium. With a summer league game that is circled on the calendar for both teams each year plus the knockout tournament game coming up, we could see a fascinating new chapter or two in the Cali Clasico.
- LA: Saturday, Jul. 1 – at San Jose (10:30 pm ET | Univision, Facebook.com, MLS LIVE in Canada)
LA Galaxy lineup (4-2-3-1, right to left): #22 Jon Kempin (GK) – #16 Nathan Smith, #4 Dave Romney, #21 Hugo Arellano, #29 Josh Turnley – #25 Rafael Garcia, #8 Joao Pedro – #38 Bradford Jamieson IV, #40 Raul Mendiola, #15 Ariel Lassiter – #20 Jack McInerney
Substitutes: #31 Clement Diop (GK), #19 Jaime Villarreal, #24 Emannuel Boateng, #32 Jack McBean, #33 Jose Villarreal, #37 Jelle Van Damme, #63 Tyler Turner
Sacramento Republic FC lineup (4-4-2, right to left): #12 Evan Newton (GK) – #26 Elliot Hord, #23 Emrah Klimenta, #5 Christopher Christian, #15 James Kiffe – #10 Danny Barrera, #22 Jeremy Hall, #6 Agustin Cazarez, #17 Tyler Blackwood – #8 Wilson Kneeshaw, #19 Trevin Caesar
Substitutes: #1 Dominik Jakubek (GK), #4 Carlos Rodriguez, #13 Sammy Ochoa, #14 Lamin Suma, #9 Harry Williams, #21 Christian Chaney