Room's winning moment was actually not one save, but two. Against Orlando City on Nov. 4, Room first stretched out his leg out to block a shot with his foot and then saved a second shot moments later by lunging in the opposite direction with his hands.
The award caps off a successful year for Room, who finished with the third-most clean sheets in the league with seven, a big help to a Crew side that finished third in the Eastern Conference.
Room joined the Crew midway through the 2019 season following his impressive performance in the 2019 Gold Cup with Curacao. He previously spent the entirety of his career in the Netherlands, with Vitesse Arnhem, Go Ahead Eagles and PSV Eindhoven.
Save of the Year Winners
- 2020: Eloy Room - CLB vs ORL on November 4, 2019
- 2019: Nick Rimando - RSL vs COL on August 24, 2019
- 2018: Stefan Frei - SEA vs COL on July 4, 2018
- 2017: Brad Guzan - ATL vs. RBNY on October 15, 2017
- 2016: Joe Bendik - SEA vs ORL on May 15, 2016
- 2015: Adam Kwarasey - POR vs RSL on August 15, 2015
- 2014: Luis Robles - RBNY vs SEA on September 20, 2014
- 2013: Nick Rimando - RSL vs COL on August 3, 20133
- 2012: Nick Rimando - RSL vs SKC on April 14, 2012
- 2011: Kasey Keller - SEA vs SJ on October 15, 2011
- 2010: Kasey Keller - SEA vs SKC on April 17, 2010
- 2009: Pat Onstad - HOU vs COL on April 19, 2009