Seattle Sounders FC goalkeeper Stefan Frei provided the fireworks on the Fourth of July with a sensational save to rob Shkelzen Gashi of the Colorado Rapids of a late equalizer that earned him 2018 MLS Save of the Year, announced on ExtraTime Live presented by Continental on Tuesday afternoon.
After the Rapids won the ball in midfield, Dom Badji made a run down the left flank and sent a low cross past four other players to an open Gashi at the back post. Gashi struck the shot first-time, but Frei scrambled back across his six-yard box and stretched out and reached back to somehow get his left hand on the attempt from 12 yards out.
Save of the Year Winners
- 2018: Stefan Frei
- 2017: Brad Guzan - ATL vs. RBNY on October 15, 2017
- 2016: Joe Bendik - SEA vs ORL on May 15, 2016
- 2015: Adam Kwarasey - POR vs RSL on August 15, 2015
- 2014: Luis Robles - RBNY vs SEA on September 20, 2014
- 2013: Nick Rimando - RSL vs COL on August 3, 20133
- 2012: Nick Rimando - RSL vs SKC on April 14, 2012
- 2011: Kasey Keller - SEA vs SJ on October 15, 2011
- 2010: Kasey Keller - SEA vs SKC on April 17, 2010
- 2009: Pat Onstad - HOU vs COL on April 19, 2009