Sporting Kansas City made it two wins out of two as their offseason recruits Alan Pulido and Gadi Kinda both scored their second goals in two MLS games in a dominant 4-0 win over Houston Dynamo at Children's Mercy Park on Saturday.
A Sporting victory never looked in doubt after Pulido, the reigning Liga MX scoring champ who arrived from Chivas Guadalajara in the offseason, followed up his debut strike of a week ago, with a clinical first-time finish in the 16th minute after a fine driving run by Kinda. Pulido was involved again when SKC doubled their lead 10 minutes later. This time the striker helped on a free-kick from deep and veteran Roger Espinoza showed more desire than the surrounding Houston defense to poke home with his left foot.
Houston briefly threatened early in the second half but the result was put beyond doubt midway through the period. Again Pulido was involved with fine play down the right before teeing up Kinda who finished confidently to add to the eye-catching debut goal he managed in SKC's 3-1 win at the Vancouver Whitecaps.
The night got even better for Sporting and one to forget for Tab Ramos' Dynamo when Khiry Shelton volleyed in from six yards off a late corner kick.
- 16' - SKC - Alan Pulido | WATCH
- 26'' - SKC - Roger Espinoza | WATCH
- 65' - SKC - Gadi Kinda | WATCH
- 77' - SKC - Khiry Shelton | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The 2020 season could not have started much better for Peter Vermes and Sporting Kansas City. After splashing the cash in the offseason in order to ensure last season’s absence from the MLS playoffs was not repeated, SKC have two wins from two and have looked mighty impressive. What’s more, their record signing Pulido is already delivering the goods while fellow recruit Kinda looks like an inspired piece of business.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It has to be the opening goal from Pulido. The Mexico international’s first-time finish was exactly the sort of goal that SKC signed him for and what they’ve been missing up front in recent years.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Kinda and Johnny Russell both impressed but it has to be Pulido again. With a goal and an assist, he truly looks the part and got a hearth ovation after he was substituted off late on.
- SKC: Saturday, March 14 at Atlanta United (7 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- CIN: Saturday, March 14 vs. Seattle Sounders (8:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US and on DAZN in Canada)