Josef Martinez and Pity Martinez flexed their muscles, setting each other up in each half to lead Atlanta United to a 3-0 win over CD Motagua in the second leg of the Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw.
Atlanta advance to the tournament quarterfinals 4-1 on aggregate to play Guatemala's Comunicaciones or Club America, which would represent a rematch of last year’s Campeones Cup. That series is level at 1-1 heading into Wednesday's second leg at the Estadio Azteca.
Atlanta United pressed and probed from the opening kickoff and after a few near-misses, Pity Martinez scored the deserved first goal in the 40th minute. Josef Martinez set up the Argentine with a sublime backheel layoff. Pity ran onto it and nestled his low left-footed shot inside the far post.
Pity returned the favor in the 61st minute, accepting a pass from Josef before playing the Venezuelan in on goal. Josef took a touch around Motagua goalkeeper Jonathan Rougier and put the series on ice with his second goal in as many games.
Pity Martinez tacked on his second late after Josef Martinez was barreled over by the onrushing Rougier at the top of the 18-yard box.
- 40’ — ATL — Pity Martinez | WATCH
- 61’ — ATL — Josef Martinez | WATCH
- 83’ — ATL — Pity Martinez | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: If this is a glimpse into what we’re likely to see between both Josef and Pity, sign us up. Combining with Ezequiel Barco, it was free-flowing, mouth-watering, attacking soccer at its finest.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It seemed like it was coming for a while, but that first goal was a true work of art.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Pity was the Man of the Match in Honduras in the first leg and he earns that honor again tonight. The Argentine looked a lot like the South American Player of the Year who arrived with all the hype rather than the new guy trying to find his way a year ago.
- ATL: Saturday, February 29 at Nashville SC (8 pm ET | FOX, FOX Deportes, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- MOT: Sunday, March 1 vs. Real de Minas (5 pm ET)