Josh Sargent scored only moments into the match en route to his first international brace, Jordan Morris also scored twice before halftime and the United States took top spot in League A, Group A of the Concacaf Nations League with their 4-0 victory over Cuba on Tuesday night in the Cayman Islands.
Finishing the group even with Canada on points, the US advanced via a superior goal differential to next June's semifinals. At that stage, they'll play Honduras after Mexico defeated Bermuda at home in their group finale on Tuesday.
The semis and final or third-place match will be the Americans' last in competitive action before the beginning of Concacaf World Cup Qualifying next fall.
Brad Guzan made two saves to preserve the shutout for the US, which outshot Cuba 20-6 in a game played at a neutral site because of renovations to Cuba's national stadium.
- 1' - Josh Sargent | WATCH
- 26' - Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 39' - Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 66' - Josh Sargent | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It might not have come against the most challenging opponent, but the victory over Cuba gives coach Gregg Berhalter's project some much-needed positive momentum with the USMNT's first consecutive wins since their run to the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup final.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Morris' first goal of the evening was easily the Americans' most stylish. And for all intents and purposes, it ended any chance of an overmatched Cuba side possibly stealing point and giving the League A, Group A Canada title to Canada.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jordan Morris. The Seattle Sounders winger may have simply been at the right place at the right time on his second goal, but it was just reward for arguably the Americans' best player of 2019. He now has four goals in the tournament.