2019 MLS Expansion Draft Rules
Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC may select up to five players from the eligible MLS player pool below. Only a single player can be drafted from any one club. Once one player has been claimed from a club’s unprotected roster, Inter Miami and Nashville SC may not select any other players from that club's list.
- Five rounds
- Three minutes for each selection
- No timeouts
- No trades permitted during the draft
Players and teams exempt from the draft
- The five teams that had players selected by the FC Cincinnati in the 2018 MLS Expansion Draft are exempt from the 2019 Expansion Draft:
- FC Dallas
- D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Players automatically exempt from the 2019 Expansion Draft:
- Generation adidas players (who did not graduate at the end of the 2019 season)
- Homegrown Players ages 25 and under (those born during or after 1994)
Players NOT exempt from the draft
- Designated Players: If a Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then the club must protect him in the Expansion Draft.
- International Players: Clubs with four or more international players must protect at least three international players, excluding any automatically protected players. If a club has only three international players, it must protect two. If a club has only two international players, it must protect one. A club that has only one international player is not required to protect that player.
- Free Agents: If a Free Agent is selected in the Expansion Draft, the expansion club that selected the player will gain his previous club’s ability to negotiate a new contract consistent with the CBA. The player’s 2019 club would be treated as a new club for purposes of the Free Agency rules.
- For a club that has a player claimed from their unprotected roster, that team will receive $50,000 in General Allocation Money for the selection.
- If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate a new contract with the player as in previous years, subject to the CBA.
- If the player’s contract expires at the end of 2019, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.
- If either Inter Miami CF or Nashville SC selects a Supplemental/Reserve Roster Player, it must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must remain on the Senior Roster as of 2020 Roster Compliance Date.