After allowing an equalizer in the third minute of second-half stoppage time, Toronto FC broke out for four goals in the first half of extra time to defeat D.C. United 5-1 on Saturday night at BMO Field in Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Richie Laryea finished off a combination with Michael Bradley and Nick DeLeon to give Toronto the lead again, Jonathan Osorio scored twice in an eight-minute stretch, and then DeLeon completed the onslaught with a stunning curler off the underside of the crossbar.
It all amounted to Toronto's first playoff victory since winning the 2017 MLS Cup, on a night the Reds played without a pair of injured stars, forward Jozy Altidore (quad) and and defender Omar Gonzalez (hamstring).
Paul Arriola was sent off for his second bookable offense in the 118th minute, with both cautions coming in the second half of extra time.
- 32' - TOR - Marco Delgado | WATCH
- 90'+3' - DC - Lucas Rodriguez | WATCH
- 93' - TOR - Richie Laryea | WATCH
- 95' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio | WATCH
- 103' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio | WATCH
- 105'+1 - TOR - Nick DeLeon | WATCH
$12,000 was contributed to the Audi Goals Drive Progress fund
- THE BIG PICTURE: Toronto has now scored five goals in three of their 11 postseason games all time, the previous two coming in their run to the 2016 MLS Cup. Meanwhile, D.C. has failed to advance past its opening playoff game for a third consecutive postseason appearance. They were eliminated on penalties following a 2-2 draw with Columbus Crew SC in last year's Knockout Round, and lost 4-2 to the Montreal Impact at the same stage in 2016.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Only minutes after Rodriguez's goal breathed new life into D.C., they went behind again after a pair of lapses. Arriola turned the ball over to Michael Bradley in his own half and Luciano Acosta failed to disrupt Bradley as he spun toward goal on an attack that ended with Laryea finding the net.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jonathan Osorio. The Canada international was a part of a second big win at BMO Field in five nights when he pounced for his extra time brace, including a very stylish finish for his second goal.
- TOR: Wednesday, Oct. 23 vs. New York City FC, Eastern Conference semifinals (7 pm ET | FS1, TSN, TVAS)
- DC: End of the season