Calen Carr travels to Seattle to find out how the Sounders are fighting to save orcas and combat carbon emissions, and how MLS is promoting sustainability efforts across North America.
Since the first Earth Day in 1970, the environmental challenges we face have only grown larger. However, community efforts have grown as well, with strides made by everyone from Seattle head coach Brian Schmetzer, sustainability consultant Kevin Wilhelm, research assistant London Fletcher, and even USWNT star Megan Rapinoe.
While sport and sustainability may have traditionally been at odds, the Sounders are giving kids the tools to see it differently and see how the two might actually come together.
To date, MLS has offset 22,500 tons of greenhouse gas emissions associated with team and staff travel, hotel accommodations and MLS big events, the equivalent of 61 million miles traveled by an average car. MLS has purchased carbon offsets from clean cookstove projects in Africa helping to improve the lives of over 14,000 women and children to date. For more Greener Goals information, be sure to head over to MLS WORKS.
Calen Carr, the host of The Movement, is a former MLS forward for the Houston Dynamo and Chicago Fire.
Music featured in this episode:
- "Royal Oats" by Sango - Website | Management
- "Wish U Well" by Space Dolphin -Soundcloud
- "Just Hold on for a Second" by Sango - Website | Management
- "Hotel Dance" by Brock Wilson - Website | Management
- "Sailing to Japan on an Air Mattress" by Samurai Del - Soundcloud
- "Blue" by Brock Wilson - Website | Management
- "Gone" by Space Dolphin - Soundcloud