Martinique kept their slim hopes of advancing out of Group A alive, defeating 10-man Cuba, 3-0, at Broncos Stadium at Mile High Wednesday night.
Both teams suffered lopsided defeats on the opening night of the Gold Cup Saturday with Martinique losing to Canada, 4-0, and Cuba drubbed by Mexico, 7-0. With their second defeat, Cuba was eliminated from advancing to the quarterfinals.
Martinique jumped in front just before halftime on a set piece as Joris Marveaux latched onto Kevin Fortune’s corner kick and guided his open header inside the far post.
Martinique take the lead!!! 🇲🇶— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 20, 2019
Joris Marveaux heads home the cross and puts Martinique on 🔝 in the final minute of the first half. pic.twitter.com/Ki5RndXpsm
In similar fashion, Les Matinino doubled their lead in the 70th minute when an unmarked Stephane Abaul headed in another Fortune corner kick from the edge of the six-yard box.
Martinique double their lead!!! 🇲🇶— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 20, 2019
The captain Stéphane Abaul puts the cross into the back of the net and Martinique are up by ✌️ pic.twitter.com/fBIXhUuNgs
Fortune closed the scoring six minutes from full time, taking a filthy backheel from Parsemain and slotting past hard-luck Sanchez.
Earlier in the second half, Martinique had a golden chance to tack onto their lead in the 59th minute when Parsemain stepped to the penalty spot after Daniel Luis pulled back Mickael Biron in the box. But Parsemain skied his attempt well over the crossbar, keeping the Lions of the Caribbean momentarily alive.
Sanchez, who was solid in defeat, came up big in the 69th minute, getting a piece of Johnny Marajo’s breakaway attempt. But Cuba paid dearly for poor marking on the corner kick and finished the match with 10 men after Erick Rizo was sent off for his second bookable offense.
- 45’ — MTQ — Joris Marveaux
- 70’ — MTQ — Stephane Abaul
- 84’ — MTQ — Kevin Fortune
- THE BIG PICTURE: Martinique played better than the final result indicated in their Group A opener, so this was perhaps poetic justice. They’ll likely still not reach the quarterfinals, but it’s clear they will go down fighting. It’s been a rough few days for Cuba, which lost captain and central defense anchor Yasmany Lopez, who reportedly defected following a seven-goal defeat to El Tri and then were poor defensively against Martinique.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Fortune had the clinical finish, but how about the joie de vivre from Parsemain on the assist.
OH MY 😳— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 20, 2019
What a pass by Parsemain to set up this goal 🔥🔥🔥 pic.twitter.com/6FnM4xFHTH
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Fortune picked up a pair of assists on well-placed corner kicks and added a goal of his own in the 84th minute.
- CUB: Sunday, June 23 vs. Canada (6 pm ET | FS2, Univision, UDN, TSN 1/3, FOX Sports GO)
- MTQ: Sunday, June 23 vs. Mexico (8:30 pm ET | FS1, Univision, UDN, TSN 1/3, FOX Sports GO)