The match was essentially absent of chances through the first 25 minutes, but that changed when Zakaria Diallo was called for a handball in the box, allowing Nani to step to the spot and convert the penalty for his 8th goal of the season — and, significantly, to reach the century mark in his pro tenure. The floodgates were then open: OCSC got goals from Canadians Tesho Akindele (on a nicely built-up team goal) and Will Johnson (heading in an attempted shot punched out by Evan Bush) to make the halftime margin 3-0.
The second half saw Anthony Jackson-Hamel and Saphir Taider attempt the Impact's best chances of the day, and Akindele nearly got his second on a play where multiple Lions got touches in front of the box, but the first-half scoreline held to the final whistle.
- THE BIG PICTURE: For Orlando, there's good news — second win in last three matches! — though, seeing that they did lose the last three matches prior to that more successful string, it comes in the midst of a challenging season. Still, they're in 8th in the East and legitimately in the playoff mix. Montreal, meanwhile, had a particularly punchless offense without the injured Ignacio Piatti, with just one shot on target mustered throughout the match. The playoffs aren't in danger yet, but performances like this won't stave off the contenders below them in the standings who are now (looking at you, Atlanta) finding results along with their identities. (And with Piatti out an estimated 8-12 weeks with a new knee injury, it could get worse before it gets better again.)
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Nani had himself a special moment with his PK conversion, and it came at a point in the match where both teams were playing with the caginess of Champions League finalists from England.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Akindele got a crucial insurance goal, nearly scored a second, and ignited the Lions for long enough to accumulate an insurmountable lead.
- MTL: Wednesday, June 5 vs. Seattle Sounders FC (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, TVAS, TSN 1/5 in Canada, YouTube TV in Seattle region only)
- ORL: Wednesday, June 12 at Memphis 901 (US Open Cup) (8:30 pm ET | ESPN+)