Substitute Derrick Etienne Jr. scored his first goal of the season to put the New York Red Bulls ahead for good — if only following a Video Review — in an enthralling 3-2 victory over the LA Galaxy on Saturday afternoon at Red Bull Arena.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored his ninth goal and added an assist for the Galaxy, who turned an early deficit into a 2-1 lead during a four-minute stretch late in the first half. Uriel Antuna also scored in his second goal in as many games for the visitors.
But after Amro Tarek gave Red Bulls a deserved opener, Marc Rzatkowski finished off Connor Lade's feed to level affairs with a half-hour to play. Eight minutes later, Etienne capitalized on Daniel Royer's service for the winner over Galaxy protestations after the original ruling of offside was overturned.
- 15' - RBNY - Amro Tarek | WATCH
- 39' - LA - Uriel Antuna | WATCH
- 43' - LA - Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 59' - RBNY - Mark Rzatkowski | WATCH
- 67' - RBNY - Derrick Etienne Jr. | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: For now at least, New York avoided a third defeat at Red Bull Arena for the first time since the 2015 campaign. They've never lost there more than three times in a league season since the facility opened. Meanwhile, the Galaxy missed a chance to go top of the Supporters' Shield standings at least until LAFC played later
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Etienne Jr.'s winner was originally ruled offside based on the idea that striker Brian White was impeding goalkeeper David Bingham. However, replays showed Bingham had guessed to his right on Etienne's shot regardless of White's presence, and that White also didn't factor into Rolf Feltscher's attempt to keep the ball out of the net.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Daniel Royer. While the Austrian had a goal disallowed for a very close offside call — which was upheld after VAR Silviu Petrescu consulted with referee Nima Saghafi — he provided much of the attacking impetus the Red Bulls needed while striker Bradley Wright-Phillips sat out injured. His run and service created Etienne's winner.