While Columbus looked to be the aggressors early on, Portland were more opportunistic with their limited chances. The visitors scored first — for the first time this season — at the half hour mark. Diego Valeri lifted a free kick from atop the arc to the left post, where Larrys Mabiala got up over his mark to head in a ball off the hands off Zack Steffen.
Portland doubled their lead minutes later, this time with Jeremy Ebobisse working a give-and-go with Sebastian Blanco, pushing the ball wide left to the Argentinean before knocking in Blanco's pass while unmarked from just outside the six.
Columbus got one back when Pedro Santos took advantage of a questionable outlet pass from Jeff Attinella and lobbed it over the 'keeper, but Portland's Jorge Moreira put the game away in stoppage time with a blast past Steffen.
- 31’ — POR — Larrys Mabiala | WATCH
- 35’ — POR — Jeremy Ebobisse | WATCH
- 69’ — CLB — Pedro Santos | WATCH
- 90+1’ — POR — Jorge Moreira | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Tonight's win helped stop the bleeding for the 2018 MLS Cup runners-up. Not only was it their first victory of the year, but the first time they scored first, and the first time they've held an opponent to fewer than two goals. For Columbus, their struggles in the final third continue — and were more noticeable when compared to Portland's clinical finishes.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: As stated above, Portland had yet to score first all year, so Mabiala's goal was huge as it allowed the Timbers to finally play with a lead (though Steffen may want a re-do of this one):
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Sebastian Blanco gets the nod for his two assists, the nice play with Ebobisse and setting up Moreira's rocket.