UPDATE, TUESDAY 10 AM ET: Toronto FC president Bill Manning was interviewed on TSN Radio on Tuesday morning and explained the current situation.
TFC President Bill Manning on Giovinco on @TSN1050Radio: “We want him with us. We have had talks with his agent & they are not progressing as we would like. We did receive an offer last week that we shut down.” #TFCLive— Kristian Jack (@KristianJack) January 29, 2019
Bill Manning confims that the club have made a very lucrative offer to Giovinco: “Our offer to him would still make him one of the top 6 or 7 earners in the league.” It is clear right now that both sides are not close on coming to an agreement. #TFCLive— Kristian Jack (@KristianJack) January 29, 2019
Quoting sources, The Athletic’s Joshua Kloke originally reported Giovinco skipped the team dinner and did not stay at the team’s hotel Sunday night. He reported that the 32-year-old Designated Player told people he was returning to Toronto.
However, according to a team representative the Atomic Ant is seeing a doctor in Los Angeles this morning about a leg issue and is expected back with TFC Monday afternoon.
On January 25, Al Jazirah, a daily newspaper in Saudi Arabia, claimed Giovinco had been issued an entry visa in advance of a possible move to Al-Hilal FC in the Saudi Professional League.
A team representative said an offer was made for Giovinco last week that was not considered serious by TFC.
Giovinco, who has one year remaining on his contract, has 68 goals and 52 assists in 114 regular season appearances.