Orlando City were in sore need of a victory, but some poor finishing prevented them from getting maximum points.
Orlando City and Columbus Crew SC played to a 1-1 draw in an Eastern Conference tilt at Orlando City Stadium on Saturday night. Giles Barnes' neat 67th-minute finish canceled out the headed opener from Lalas Abubakar, but the Lions could not find a winner despite bossing much of the match.
Making the final result even more frustrating for Orlando is the fact that they were up a man for the final 13 minutes after Video Review led to Harrison Afful getting sent off for an elbow on Yoshimar Yotun.
- FAILURE TO FINISH: Orlando will likely be more discouraged than pleased with Saturday's result given that they dominated for large stretches but could not find a way to come out on top. A major reason for that was lackluster finishing, as the Lions failed to make the most of their 20 shots (eight on target) in the game.
- STEFFEN STEPS UP: Columbus dug deep to get this result, especially during the last 13 minutes when they were down a man, but they would not have gotten over the finish line with a point if not for the play of goalkeeper Zack Steffen. Making seven saves on the night, Steffen shone while helping Crew SC pick up a result in a game that saw them get largely outplayed.
- HE'S BACK: Dom Dwyer had already officially made his Orlando City return late last month, but he played in front of the Lions' faithful for the first time since 2013 by coming off the bench in the 63rd minute of Saturday's encounter. Dwyer quickly gave Orlando a spark with his energy and movement, and was involved in several of the club's more promising attacks in the second stanza. His play is one big positive that Orlando can take from this meeting.
- ORL: Saturday, Aug. 26 – vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (7:30 pm ET | TSN; MLS LIVE in the US)
- CLB: Wednesday, Aug. 23 – vs. LA Galaxy (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)