The Portland Timbers scored early, then gave up an equalizer almost immediately. They could have been rattled by that, but responded with two golazos en route to a comprehensive victory.
Three different players found the back of the net for the Timbers as they defeated the LA Galaxy 3-1 at Providence Park on Sunday afternoon. Portland and LA exchanged goals in the opening six minutes, but wonderful strikes from Diego Valeri and Alvas Powell on each side of halftime gave the hosts the win.
Video Review was used in the match, as a go-ahead goal from Gyasi Zardes in the 11th minute was called back because he handled the ball before firing it home. The ruling left the match level instead of putting the Galaxy ahead, and the Timbers went on to score two impressive goals to come out on top.
- 5' – POR – Liam Ridgewell Watch
- 6' – LA – Emmanuel Boateng Watch
- 31' – POR – Diego Valeri Watch
- 53' – POR – Alves Powell Watch
- RIDGEWELL RETURNS: Ridgewell enjoyed quite the return to the Timbers' lineup, scoring the early opener with a nodded effort and leading the back line as it limited the Galaxy attack to just one shot on goal. The Englishman was solid in his first match since June 10 but did not go the distance. Ridgewell was substituted in the 89th minute, not long after taking a blow to the head, something for the Timbers' faithful to keep an eye on in the coming days.
- DOS SANTOS DEBUTS: Two years to the day after Giovano dos Santos made his LA debut, his brother Jonathan dos Santos did the same. The Galaxy's newest acquisition entered the game in the 64th minute, and slotted into the midfield while Jermaine Jones dropped back into the defense. The 27-year-old dos Santos had some good and bad moments during his time on the field, but things should only get better as he develops a better understanding with his new teammates.
- TREATING THE FANS: Sunday's victory was Portland's first at Providence Park since June 10. The club had failed to pick up maximum points in its last three home games, but that streak is now over. The Timbers not only triumphed again in front of their supporters, but did so with an impressive victory marked by two great goals.