It was a special night for Bradley Wright-Phillips as the New York Red Bulls defeated the Montreal Impact 3-1 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.
The Englishman scored a brace, his 58th and 59th regular-season goals as a member of the Red Bulls, passing club legend Juan Pablo Angel to become the Red Bulls' all-time leading goalscorer in the regular season.
Midfielder Sean Davis provided the capper at the start of the second half, before Ambroise Oyongo was controversially shown a red card in the 48th minute. Davis has now scored in consecutive games since taking over for the injured Dax McCarty, and also assisted both of Wright-Phillips' goals.
- 21' - MTL - Ignacio Piatti (Matteo Mancosu, Marco Donadel)
- 22' - NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips (Sacha Kljestan, Sean Davis)
- 41' - NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips (Sean Davis)
- 46' - NY - Sean Davis (Mike Grella)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- MR. RELIABLE: Bradley Wright-Phillips toughed his way through a rough start to the season, scoring no goals in the Red Bulls' first seven games. Since then he has struck 14, currently placing him second in the Golden Boot race. Saturday's pair were especially significant, as he broke Juan Pablo Angel's club record of 58 regular-season goals.
- TESTY AFFAIR: It was a hot one in Harrison on Saturday, with the heat index topping 100 degrees, and for a few players, blood was boiling. Didier Drogba and Aurelien Collin were clashing and yapping all night, until Collin was eventually pulled in the 60th minute with an apparent head injury.
- THE KID DELIVERS: The loss of Dax McCarty to a fractured tibia was expected to hit the Red Bulls midfield hard. But that has not been the case so far, as Sean Davis has ably filled the captain's slot with two goals and two assists in two starts since McCarty went down.
- NY: CONCACAF Champions League: Tuesday at Alianza (10pm ET; Facebook.com)
- MTL: Saturday vs. Chicago (7:30pm ET; MLS LIVE)