LA GALAXY vs REAL SALT LAKE
STUBHUB CENTER, Carson, Calif.
May 27, 2015 (WEEK 13, MLS Game #122)
10:30 p.m. ET (MLS LIVE)
The LA Galaxy and Real Salt Lake meet for a second time this season in a rivalry that has grown in stature over the past few seasons when the clubs face off Wednesday evening at StubHub Center. The Galaxy saw their five-game winless run come to an end last week, getting the game’s lone goal for a win against the Houston Dynamo in Carson. Real returned to their winning ways, easing to a 2-0 win against New York City FC on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium.
REFEREE: Baldomero Toledo. AR1 (bench): Mike Rottersman; AR2 (opposite): Eduardo Mariscal; 4th: Daniel Radford
Toledo MLS Career: 192 games; FC/gm: 25.0; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 68; pens: 69
SUSPENDED: LA: Oscar Sorto (through May 27)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: LA: Juninho … RSL: Luke Mulholland
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: LA: Alan Gordon … RSL: Jordan Allen, Kyle Beckerman, Abdoulie Mansally
DISABLED LIST: LA: Brian Perk (season-ending injury)
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: LA: Bradford Jamieson IV (US U-20 national team) … RSL: Jordan Allen (US U-20 national team), Boyd Okwuonu (US U-23 national team)
ALL-TIME (29 meetings): Galaxy 11 wins, 42 goals … Real 11 wins, 45 goals … Ties 7
AT LA (15 meetings): Galaxy 8 wins, 23 goals … Real 6 wins, 22 goals … Ties 1
FUTURE MATCH: 9/19: Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy, 7:30 p.m. MT
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season. They played to a scoreless draw May 6 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
- The teams split their two meetings at StubHub Center a year ago, each winning by a 1-0 scoreline. The Real victory on March 8 of last year was the Galaxy’s was the Galaxy’s last defeat in any competitive match in Carson. The last two matchups in Sandy have ended in draws.
- The teams have met three times in the last four years in the MLS Cup Playoffs. The Galaxy have advanced on two occasions, including in last year’s Western Conference Semifinals, when they took the series after a 5-0 win in the second leg at StubHub Center. The teams also met in MLS Cup 2009, RSL winning in a penalty shootout.
Bruce Arena vs. RSL: P20 W7 L7 D6
Jeff Cassar vs. LA: P4 W1 L1 D2
LAST MEETING (MLS):
5/6: RSL 0, LA 0
- The key moment of the match came in stoppage time. From a free kick sent into the box from some 25 yards out, LA center back Omar Gonzalez went sprawling to the turf and referee Jose Carlos Rivero pointed to the spot, giving the Galaxy the chance for a dramatic winner. But RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando guessed correctly on the attempt by second-half substitute Juninho, parrying away the shot to save the point.
- Galaxy goalkeeper Jaime Penedo was called upon to make six saves, five coming in the second half, including a stop at full stretch on Alvaro Saborio late in the match to preserve the clean sheet.
- REAL SALT LAKE (4-3-1-2): Nick Rimando - Tony Beltran, Jamison Olave, Elias Vasquez, Demar Phillips - Luke Mulholland (Sebastian Saucedo 86), Kyle Beckerman, Jordan Allen - Luis Gil - Devon Sandoval (Olmes Garcia 76), Alvaro Saborio.
- LA GALAXY (4-4-2): Jaime Penedo - A.J. DeLaGarza, Omar Gonzalez, Leonardo, Dan Gargan - Stefan Ishizaki (Juninho 72), Baggio Husidic, Rafael Garcia, Bradford Jamieson (Mika Vayrynen 82) - Alan Gordon (Ignacio Maganto 72), Gyasi Zardes.