Opening day 2014 is just around the corner, and MLS preseason action rolls on across Arizona, Florida, South Carolina, Oregon and beyond. Catch up with news and updates from MLS training camps below. And for the entire preseason stream schedule, click here.
SATURDAY'S LIVE MATCHES:
- 1 pm ET: Toronto FC vs. Fluminense (Disney Pro Soccer Classic) | RECAP
- 3 pm ET: Real Salt Lake vs. Chivas USA (Desert Diamond Cup) | RECAP
- 5 pm ET: D.C. United vs. Seattle Sounders (Carolina Challenge Cup) | RECAP
- 5:30 pm ET: New England Revolution vs. Colorado Rapids (Desert Diamond Cup) | RECAP
- 5:30 pm ET: Portmore United vs. San Jose Earthquakes (Rose City Invitational) | RECAP
- 7:15 pm ET: Houston Dynamo vs. Charleston Battery (Carolina Challenge Cup) | RECAP
- 8 pm ET: Portland Timbers vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (Rose City Invitational) | RECAP
- 8 pm ET: Columbus Crew vs. Sporting KC (Disney Pro Soccer Classic) | RECAP
- 8 pm ET: FC Dallas vs. San Antonio Scorpions (Friendly) | RECAP
- 8:30 pm ET: Chicago Fire vs. Chivas Rayadas (Desert Diamond Cup) | RECAP
NEW PREZ: "I COME TO WIN": First Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy to CDChivasUSA.com that MLS' purchase of the club has the player feeling like "there’s something really special that could be in the making here."
Now, newly hired club President Nelson Rodriguez has expressed his own feelings. “I come to win. And I want to be associated with winners. I have a particular view on how winning is achieved. It’s a byproduct of three things that we will look to do at all times. We will look to do the right things, we will look to do things right and we will always give 100%," he told CDChivasUSA.com.
Win or lose, youngster Bryan de la Fuente won't be part of the adventure. The forward was waived on Saturday:
TAKE A BITE OUT OF THIERRY HENRY: WIth the New York Red Bulls coming to Vancouver next week for the season opener, the Whitecaps' captain, Jay Demerit, joined in some trash-talking hi-jinx on the club's Facebook page. He literally takes a bite out of the Big Apple and then challenges his teammates to do it too.
Check it out.
UNION SLIP PAST IMPACT: It hasn't gone according to form for either the Union or Impact in preseason, but at least Philly can take a PK shootout win with them into the opening weekend. Jack McInerney and Marco Di Vaio traded goals in regulation, before the Union won 3-2 in the shootout.
The day's biggest upset? Patrice Bernier, who is 10/10 from the spot in his MLS career, missed his shootout attempt!
CHAMPS AGAIN: D.C. United have made a habit of winning the Carolina Challenge Cup. So hey, why not keep a good thing going?
They took the title for the fourth time in five years thanks to a 2-2 draw with Seattle on Saturday. Are good times ahead in the nation's capital?
EAST BOUND AND DOWN: They've got a long way to go and a short time to get there...
Ok, maybe it's not quite Smokey and the Bandit, but FC Dallas had to improvise on their way to their final preseason friendly. Don't blame them if they come out of the gates sluggish.
TAKING FLIGHT: Some worries on defense for the Red Bulls after they wrapped up their preseason with a wild 4-4 draw vs. Orlando City down at the Disney Pro Soccer Classic. Bradley Wright-Phillips got a brace, while Ibrahim Sekagya and Johnny Steele each added a solo tally in the high-scoring affair.
Was it high-flying, though? Maybe if Dax McCarty was involved:
A LOAN STAR: Tony Cascio's second season in MLS was mostly a waste, as he languished on the Colorado Rapids bench. It looks like his third will be the total opposite.
The winger, on loan to the Dynamo, finished the preseason the way he began it: in torrid fashion. He potted yet another goal as Houston finished their prep work with a leisurely 2-0 win over Charleston in the final game of the Carolina Challenge Cup: