Billy Schuler with North Carolina
USA Today Sports

Billy Schuler lottery set for Tuesday, only San Jose Earthquakes & Real Salt Lake will participate

Former University of North Carolina star Billy Schuler will learn on Tuesday morning which MLS team he will play for – and it's either San Jose or Real Salt Lake.

Those are the two teams that opted into the weighted lottery for the 23-year-old forward, who signed with MLS last week after spending the past two years on the books at Swedish club Hammarby.

Schuler was projected to be the No. 1 pick at the 2012 SuperDraft after signing a Generation adidas contract, but instead was lured to Europe by then Hammarby manager and current Columbus Crew head coach Gregg Berhalter.

Injuries limited Schuler in Sweden and he struggled to find his scoring touch, notching two goals in 26 appearances over two seasons. He also spent time on loan with Nacka FF, Hammarby's developmental team.

San Jose have the greatest chances of landing the 2011 NCAA champion, with a 95.7 percent chance, according to Major League Soccer. RSL maintain a sliver of a chance of winning the lottery with 4.3 percent odds. Tuesday's lottery will be held at 10 am ET.

According to the MLS roster rules, "The team with the worst record over its last 34 regular-season games (dating back to previous season if necessary and taking playoff performance into account) will have the greatest probability of winning the lottery."

The team that wins the lottery for Schuler will not be able to participate in another weighted player lottery this season unless all teams have taken a player via the process or have waived their option to participate in the lottery. The Quakes participated in last week's lottery for midfielder Brian Span, who ended up landing with FC Dallas.

Stay connected: The official MLS app keeps you connected with the latest news, highlights, scores, standings, and analysis all for FREE. Download for iOS (Apple) or Download for Android