Geoff Cameron was not the only one patiently anticipating news regarding his UK work permit.
The decision of an appeals board on Wednesday to grant the US international a work permit was the final step in Cameron's transfer from the Houston Dynamo to Stoke City, allowing the Eastern Conference leaders to move on following two months of negotiations.
“We’re happy to have finally reached a conclusion on it and to move forward,” Dynamo president Chris Canetti told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday morning. “We wish Geoff well with his new endeavor and we thank him for all he’s done for the Dynamo in his five seasons here.
“I think it’s a good deal for all parties involved,” Canetti continued. “I don’t think [it’s been a distraction] because we’ve had some great results, but the only thing it’s done is tie up our abilities to make some moves."
Cameron’s transfer, which still requires a last bit of paperwork to finalize the deal, started to pick up steam after his World Cup qualifying stint earlier this summer. After being scouted in a June 16 match against FC Dallas, talks began between the Potters and MLS on a potential move.
The next two months brought back and forth negotiations between the two sides and even an attempt by MLS to keep the talented midfielder stateside. Cameron, Stoke and MLS were ultimately able to reach a deal — the transfer fee was reportedly in the $2.5 million range — for the 27-year-old to make his long anticipated move to England.
According to league rules, two-thirds of any transfer fee is passed along to the club.
"It’s a great move for the Dynamo because the transfer fee provides us with a lot of resources now and in the future where we can use that money to both hold the team together and add parts around,” Canetti said.
And more importantly, the club is now free to put the final touches on its own reinforcement and officially add midfielder Ricardo Clark to its roster.
“Now we’ll be able to activate Ricardo whenever the deal is formally done, whether that is today, tomorrow or Friday,” said Canetti. “He should be available for selection Friday if [head coach Dominic Kinnear] so chooses.”
Darrell Lovell covers the Houston Dynamo for MLSsoccer.com.