Rumor became reality on Tuesday as sometimes Canadian, sometimes Dutch midfielder Jonathan de Guzman officially joined Swansea City of the English Premier League on a one-year loan from Villarreal, who were relegated to the Spanish Segunda Division.
The 24-year-old joins new Swansea head coach Michael Laudrup, who also coached de Guzman when he played at Real Mallorca during the 2010-11 season. Despite still being eligible to play for Canada, de Guzman said in June in Toronto that he’s still hoping to crack the Netherlands lineup. He played for the Dutch at the youth level but has yet to consistently break into the senior team.
Older brother Julian de Guzman, of Toronto FC, said last month he believes Jonathan still could suit up for the country of his birth.
Current Canadian national-teamers may also be on the move. Still in England, forward Iain Hume remained loyal to Preston North End despite their relegation to the English third division after the 2010-11 season, but apparently that same loyalty wasn’t reciprocated.
Hume was one of eight players who were informed via text message by manager Graham Westley that they weren’t to train with the first team and can expect to move to different clubs. It was more than a bit baffling since Hume was one of PNE’s best players last season, scoring nine times despite missing time with injuries.
Should Hume be shown the door, he should easily find new employment. When he’s healthy, he’s shown he can be a lethal force, as his nine goals in 28 games last season can indicate. At 28 years old, Hume still has a few good years ahead of him.
Forward Tosaint Ricketts may have found a new home in Germany, as his trial with Dynamo Dresden of the 2.Bundesliga seems to be going well.
The Edmonton native has scored four times in three preseason friendlies and has impressed manager Ralf Loose. Ricketts is looking to move on after a tumultuous few seasons in Romania with Politehnica Timisoara.
One Canadian international who did finalize a deal this past week is forward Marcus Haber. The 23-year-old striker, whose contract with St. Johnstone ended at the end of June, announced on his Twitter account that he had signed with English League One side Stevenage.