The MLS Disciplinary Committee on Friday suspended Philadelphia Union defender Gabriel Farfan two additional games and fined him an undisclosed amount for his actions in the 85th minute of the match played between Chivas USA and Philadelphia Union last weekend.
Farfan received a red card and an automatic one-game suspension for his challenge on Chivas USA right back James Riley. The Committee determined the challenge was reckless and endangered Riley’s safety.
The league announced that the additional fine was levied in part for both the egregious nature of the challenge itself as well as for failing to leave the field in an orderly manner.
Farfan will serve his suspension during Philadelphia’s next three League matches: April 28 vs. San Jose Earthquakes, May 5 at Seattle Sounders FC, and May 13 vs. New York Red Bulls.
This is the latest fallout from the contentious match. On Thursday, MLS Commissioner Don Garber suspended and fined Philadelphia manager Peter Nowak for his role in the aftermath of Farfan's challenge. Chivas USA manager Robin Fraser was also fined by the Commissioner.
Fines collected will be donated to the charitable partners of MLS W.O.R.K.S. and the MLS Players Union.
Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee action in 2012
- Houston Dynamo's Colin Clark suspended for three games and fined for using a homophobic slur at CenturyLink Field
- Houston Dynamo's Adam Moffat suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Seattle Sounders' Alvaro Fernandez fined for embellishment of contact
- D.C. United's Brandon McDonald suspended and fined for a reckless challenge
- FC Dallas' Jair Benitez suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct involving D.C. United's Danny Cruz
- Vancouver's Atiba Harris suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct involving Philadelphia's Carlos Valdes
- D.C. United's Danny Cruz fined for embellishment of contact
- New England's Shalrie Joseph suspended and fined for one game for reckless challenge on Ricardo Villar
- NYRB's Rafael Marquez suspended three matches for tackling, falling on and kicking San Jose's Shea Salinas
- SJ's Marvin Chavez suspended one game for reckless challenge on New York's Roy Miller
- FC Dallas forward Blas Perez suspended one game and fined for endangering safety of an opponent after elbow to Vancouver's Jordan Harvey
- Gabriel Farfan suspended two additional games and fined for reckless tackle on Chivas USA's James Riley