HOUSTON — The Houston Dynamo lost the services of another midfielder this week. But not to suspension this time.
After losing Colin Clark and Adam Moffat to three- and one-game suspensions, respectively, last week, Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear confirmed that second-year midfielder Josue Soto will go on loan with the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL.
“[Josue] issued his desire to go out on loan to get more playing time and I think it’s a great idea,” Kinnear told the media after Tuesday’s training.
Soto, a 2011 Homegrown signing out of Southern Methodist who's also spent time in the Monterrey youth system, began his time with the first-year NASL club last weekend.
“The first place we talked about was San Antonio because the proximity and the fact that I know the coach and so far it’s worked out pretty good,” Kinnear said. “He played with them on Saturday, and by all indications from the communication between myself and coach Tim Hankinson, they want to keep him around.”
With the weekend going well, efforts to solidify the loan have begun and Kinnear said the loan will likely extend until the middle of May.
Recio still in the works
While the Dynamo are working to send one former Monterrey youth player out on loan, they are also working on finalizing a contract to keep another with the club. After coming on trial at the beginning of preseason, left back Oscar Recio earned a contract offer at the end of camp. But his status with the Rayados will need to be cleared up before the sides can make things official.
“We’re in the process of keeping him here,” Kinnear said. “It’s been going on a while working with Monterrey. To my knowledge, he’s still under contract with Monterrey, and that’s what’s holding things up right now.”
Recio is still with the Dynamo and has appeared in both of the club's Reserve League matches so far this year.
Darrell Lovell covers the Houston Dynamo for MLSsoccer.com