The LA Galaxy are already in. This week, two more teams can join them in securing spots in the MLS Cup playoffs if results go their way as the regular season hits the home stretch.
It’s a particularly huge week for the Seattle Sounders, who can clinch a postseason berth if they defeat Cascadia rivals Vancouver on Saturday at Empire Field. That would mark their third playoff appearance in their three MLS seasons, and would be the earliest they’ve clinched since joining the league.
Sigi Schmid’s crew can still lock down a playoff spot with a loss if other results go their way (see below).
Meanwhile, Real Salt Lake can also book a spot in the MLS Cup playoffs this week with the right combination of results.
On the flip side, Vancouver, New England and Toronto can all be eliminated from contention with five weeks to go in the regular season.
Click here for the latest Playoff Standings.
Here are the clinching/eliminating scenarios heading into Week 28:
Seattle Sounders FC will clinch a berth in the MLS Cup Playoffs if:
- Seattle defeat or tie host Vancouver on Saturday OR
- Seattle lose to Vancouver AND two of the following occur: Houston tie or lose; Colorado lose, Portland lose
Real Salt Lake will clinch a berth in the MLS Cup Playoffs if:
- Houston tie or lose OR Colorado lose
- OR RSL defeat host D.C. United on Saturday
Vancouver Whitecaps FC will be eliminated from contention for the MLS Cup Playoffs if:
- Vancouver lose to Seattle OR
- Vancouver tie Seattle AND New York win OR Portland win
- Vancouver defeat Seattle AND three of the following occur: Philadelphia win AND Houston win; and New York win AND tie OR Portland win AND tie
New England Revolution will be eliminated from contention for the MLS Cup Playoffs if:
- New England lose at Chicago on Sunday AND the following occurs: Philadelphia tie or win; Houston tie or win; Portland win
Toronto FC will be eliminated from contention for the MLS Cup Playoffs if:
- Toronto lose at Chivas USA on Saturday AND the following occurs: Philadelphia tie or win; Houston tie or win; Portland win