COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — The Colorado Rapids on Monday denied reports that suggest technical director Paul Bravo has interviewed with the Montreal Impact about being the 2012 MLS expansion team’s new head coach.
Radio Canada on Monday reported that Bravo was likely due to be unveiled as Montreal’s coach on Wednesday. The former Rapids player, capped four times by the US national team, was reported to be on a short list of candidates for the position that included Columbus Crew technical director Brian Bliss and Puerto Rico Islanders head coach Colin Clarke.
“The rumor is untrue,” Rapids spokesman David Lindholm told MLSsoccer.com of the Bravo report. “There has been no contact whatsoever between Paul and the Impact regarding the position."
Bliss confirmed the news to the Columbus Dispatch and said the Impact had first contacted him about the job three months ago. MLS original Jesse Marsch, who served as an assistant under former US national team coach Bob Bradley, was also rumored to be under consideration for the post, according to Radio Canada.
Bravo, who was the Rapids’ all-time leading goal scorer until Conor Casey overtook him last year, has served as technical director for Colorado since January 2009. He was previously director of soccer with the LA Galaxy.
The Montreal Impact will make the jump from the NASL for the 2012 season, becoming the 19th franchise in Major League Soccer. Marc Dos Santos stepped down as head coach in June and was replaced by former Impact manager Nick De Santis on an interim basis.