BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – Chicago Fire technical director Frank Klopas told MLSsoccer.com Tuesday that the team plans on cutting multiple players from its preseason roster by the end of this week. Klopas did not specify how many players the team – which is currently eight players above the roster limit of 30 – plans on letting go.
“We’re making cuts,” Klopas said. “We’ll need to talk to some players that just don’t fit in. We need to start focusing more on the core group; that’s going to be the most important thing as we start to play preseason games. The more time the actual team spends together the better it is for developing that chemistry.”
The Fire, who have spent the last week-and-a-half training at an indoor facility here, will head to Ave Maria, Fla., next Monday for the second phase of their preseason program.
The team cut four players over the weekend.
Sam Stejskal covers the Chicago Fire for MLSsoccer.com.Email him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @samstejskal.