Jeff Cunningham's brace helped Dallas extend their unbeaten streak to nine games.
Getty Images

FCD's Hyndman happy to win "strange" game

FRISCO, Texas — Sunday’s match between the Philadelphia Union and FC Dallas had a little bit of everything: a "goofy" goal, a red card that put the Union a man down for 68 minutes and a nasty midair collision between two starters that forced them both to the bench.

But in the end, FCD prevailed 3-1 for their fourth straight win at home, a result that increases their unbeaten streak to nine games.

WATCH: Full match highlights

"It was really a strange game," head coach Schellas Hyndman said. "I think it was the right result when you’re playing at home, in this type of temperature and up a man. A good three points for FC Dallas.”

About five minutes in, FCD center back Ugo Ihemelu collided with Philadelphia midfielder Kyle Nakazawa during an aerial challenge, a battle that left both starters bloodied.

Ihemelu’s teeth had gone into Nakazawa’s head and both players had to be helped to the sideline. Nakazawa went to the bench with blood streaming down his face. He quickly returned with his head wrapped, though Ihemelu didn’t return until after the Union’s goal in the ninth minute.

Nakazawa ended up leaving the game, while Ihemelu lasted just 20 minutes before leaving as he was bleeding again. The FCD starter suffered a concussion and was sent to a local hospital for a scan.

And Philadelphia’s goal in the ninth minute came after a Kevin Hartman deflection of a Sebastien LeToux shot fell to the feet of the Union’s Alejandro Moreno, who ended up scoring his first goal of 2010.

“I think Ugo was off the field at the time, so Daniel Hernandez was playing center back and nobody really stepped into his spot,” Hyndman said of the goal. “It was kind of a goofy circumstance that occurred, but it was well-earned on their part. They struck us when we were vulnerable.”

For a team that doesn’t make many mistakes in front of their own goal, the FCD gaffer was a bit shocked by that turn of events.

“That was very uncharacteristic of what we’ve been all about,” Hyndman said. “I thought today was a very strange game from beginning to end.”

FCD drew things level in the 22nd off a David Ferreira penalty kick. That came after Union goalkeeper was sent off for upending FCD’s Brek Shea inside the area.

Cunningham then came on at the break for Eric Avila, a move that signaled a shift from the 4-1-4-1 formation with Milton Rodriguez alone up top into a 4-4-2 with Cunningham and Rodriguez playing together up high.

“[Cunningham] scored two nice goals but that’s what he does," Hyndman said. "He was very anxious to get scoring again. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come.”