Roger Torres and the Union earned their first-ever road win on Saturday.
Getty Images

Resilient Union fight hard for first road points


For the first time this season the Philadelphia Union managed to earn points on the road. Fighting back from a 2-1 deficit, the Union were able to down the Houston Dynamo in their backyard in a thrilling 3-2 match.


Union rookie Danny Mwanga scored in injury time for the second consecutive week, a goal that thrust the Union to their second win of the season.

The last gasp goal was the reward for all the hard work the team put in during the match, something that team manager Peter Nowak knows they deserved.

“I think for the team, it means the work paid off,” Nowak said. “It was a tough environment we played in, and a victory like that over the Houston Dynamo is very good because it’s very difficult to play here."

It was a thrilling night for the Union, who outplayed the Dynamo and fully deserved the three points. A complete team effort was necessary in getting the win and that is what Nowak’s squad was able to produce on Saturday night.

"We come back to score a goal in injury time, and it’s very special," Nowak said. "I feel like this is a work in progress. This is still a very young group who wants to work and win the games, and for me it’s a work in progress."

Going up on the Dynamo in the first half, the Union seemed destined to win points on the road. The second half was a different story, though, as the home side scored two impressive goals off of set pieces.

Union keeper Chris Seitz was pleased with the effort in the first 45 minutes, but he knows the Dynamo goals should have been avoided.

“I think, in the first half, we came out and did what we wanted to do," Seitz said. "We kept possession of the ball, we created chances, and we went into the half up 1-0. In the second half, we gave up two free kicks in two dangerous areas. Houston is always dangerous at free kicks. That’s their bread and butter, and they got two good goals off it.”

Going down 2-1, the Union kept their heads up and were able to eventually break down the Dynamo for their second goal. The winner came via a late third from Mwanga.

The No. 1 overall draft pick was thrilled with his late tally.

“It was a great feeling,” the 18-year-old said. “I came in the last game and was able to score a goal, and that was definitely a great effort. As a forward, you know you need to bring something to the table to help your team, and I was able to score that goal and help my teammates, and I am very excited for it.”

Up next for the Union will be the Chicago Fire as their road trip continues ahead of their official home opener at PPL Park on June 27.