Taylor made draw for Revs vs. Metros

New England forward Taylor Twellman scored two goals Saturday afternoon at Giants Stadium, including a game-tying header in the final minute, enabling the unbeaten Revolution to tie the MetroStars at 2.

Less than three minutes after replacing Youri Djorkaeff, John Wolyniec was shaping up to be the unlikely hero for the MetroStars.

He slid in to tap in Mike Magee's cross and the Metros were six minutes away from their first win of the year at home, six minutes away from handing the New England Revolution their first loss of the year.

But Twellman responded with his second goal of the game, a lunging header in the 89th minute to secure an entertaining 2-2 draw in front of 12,134.

Twellman, who also put the Revs ahead in the sixth minute, received a cross from second half substitute Khano Smith and knocked the ball off the crossbar and in from six yards out.

The MetroStars' go-ahead goal was typical Wolyniec. Mark Lisi played a superb ball to Mike Magee, one of three Metros substitutes in the final quarter hour, and he sent his end line cross in front. That's where Wolyniec slid in, knocking the ball past Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis in the 83rd minute.

It was the game the MetroStars have been waiting to play at home all season, a game with quick, crisp passes and several scoring chances. They remain winless at home, but this was a far more positive result than the four other games combined.

The New England Revolution came into Giants Stadium with a league-best 19 points, undefeated in seven games. But the MetroStars played even with the best team in MLS.

MetroStars coach Bob Bradley said Thursday that he wanted his team to play quickly in the offensive third so it was no surprise Abbe Ibrahim made his first MLS start. It was the lone change to the starting 11 from the MetroStars' 3-0 win at Chicago as Ibrahim, who is tied for the reserve league lead with four goals in four games, replaced Magee.

Ibrahim used his speed to get behind the Revolution defense and create several scoring chances before the 18-year-old from Togo was sent off in the 66th minute after picking up his second yellow card.

However, it was the MetroStars who fell behind early when Steve Ralston found a wide-open Pat Noonan on the right side. The Metros killer chipped the ball in front where Twellman knocked in a low first-time strike in the sixth minute.

The MetroStars tied the game in the 16th minute when Amado Guevara lobbed the ball to Tim Ward, who shielded off Ralston, cut the ball back on his right foot and crossed it to Eddie Gaven, whose one-time volley beat Reis from eight yards out.

The goal was the first given up by Reis in 384 minutes -- landing the Revs 'keeper in eighth place on the league's all-time list for consecutive shutout minutes.

The Metros concluded a very fluid first half -- their best at home this year -- with a great buildup from Djorkaeff to Gaven to Ibrahim, whose shot was saved by the right hand of Reis.

The second half picked up where the first left off with Tim Regan clearing a Noonan shot off the line in the 46th minute and a minute later Ibrahim chipped the ball just wide of the far post.

In the 60th minute Shalrie Joseph played a sublime ball to Ralston down the right wing. He crossed it in front where Clint Dempsey's diving header sailed wide to Wells' right.

One minute after the Metros were reduced to 10 men they had a glorious scoring chance when Djorkaeff danced into the box, only to have his hard shot pushed away by Reis. Mark Lisi ran onto the rebound but he couldn't get enough on the ball, which was swept away by Dempsey.

In the 74th minute Noonan got behind the Metros defense and had a clear breakaway but Wells came off his line to make the save from 15 yards out.

The MetroStars return to the field on Wednesday, playing the Kansas City Wizards at Arrowhead Stadium at 8 p.m. ET, while the Revolution have until next Saturday before their next match when they play host to the Colorado Rapids at Gillette Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET). Man of the Match: Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

Dylan Butler is a contributor to This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

New England Revolution (6-0-1) vs. MetroStars (2-2-2)
May 21, 2005 -- Giants Stadium

Scoring Summary:
NE -- Taylor Twellman 5 (Pat Noonan 1, Steve Ralston 2) 6
MET -- Eddie Gaven 3 (Tim Ward 1, Amado Guevara 2) 16
MET -- John Wolyniec 1 (Mike Magee 2, Mark Lisi 1) 83
NE -- Taylor Twellman 6 (Khano Smith 1) 89

New England Revolution -- Matt Reis, Jay Heaps, Michael Parkhurst, Avery John, Marshall Leonard (Khano Smith 61), Steve Ralston, Clint Dempsey, Andy Dorman (Jose Cancela 86), Shalrie Joseph, Taylor Twellman, Pat Noonan.

Substitutes Not Used: Jeff Larentowicz, Ryan Latham, Doug Warren.

TOTAL SHOTS: 21 (Clint Dempsey 6); SHOTS ON GOAL: 12 (Shalrie Joseph 3, Taylor Twellman 3); FOULS: 11 (Andy Dorman 3); OFFSIDES: 5 (Taylor Twellman 4); CORNER KICKS: 2 (Andy Dorman 2); SAVES: 10 (Matt Reis 9)

MetroStars -- Zach Wells, Chris Leitch, Jeff Agoos (Jeff Parke 76), Tim Regan, Tim Ward, Eddie Gaven (Mike Magee 74), Michael Bradley, Amado Guevara, Mark Lisi, Youri Djorkaeff (John Wolyniec 80), Abbe Ibrahim.

Substitutes Not Used: Ramon Bailey, Clint Baumstark, Gilberto Flores, Sergio Galvan Rey, Carlos Mendes, Seth Stammler.

TOTAL SHOTS: 17 (Youri Djorkaeff 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 12 (Youri Djorkaeff 3, Amado Guevara 3); FOULS: 17 (Abbe Ibrahim 4); OFFSIDES: 2 (Youri Djorkaeff 2); CORNER KICKS: 3 (Amado Guevara 2); SAVES: 10 (Zach Wells 9)

Misconduct Summary:
NE -- Jay Heaps (caution; Professional Foul) 25
MET -- Abbe Ibrahim (caution; Reckless Foul) 41
NE -- Avery John (caution; Pushing, Holding) 59
NE -- Shalrie Joseph (caution; Dissent) 63
MET -- Abbe Ibrahim (ejection; Second Caution) 66

Referee: Baldomero Toledo
Referee's Assistants: -George Vergara; Emiliano Monje
4th Official: Niko Bratsis
Attendance: 12,134
Weather: Partly Cloudy-and-70-degrees

All statistics contained in this boxscore are unofficial.