Roundup for MLS action in Week 21

who officially joined the club just a couple of days before -- seemed to consign the MetroStars to failing to take advantage until Guevara's wonder strike deep into second-half stoppage time.

Also over the weekend, the Columbus Crew picked up a little ground in their aim to crawl out of last place in the Eastern Conference, a late goal giving them a 1-0 victory against FC Dallas. The San Jose Earthquakes lengthened their lead atop the West with a 1-0 victory against Real Salt Lake, while the Colorado Rapids began the round with a midweek victory against East leader New England Revolution.

At Giants Stadium, the MetroStars extended their home unbeaten streak to nine games while still keeping Chivas USA winless away from home in their inaugural season, but it was far from a foregone conclusion.

Guevara scored his first from the penalty spot after just five minutes when Eddie Gaven was tripped up in the area, but Chivas got three goals -- all from new acquisitions -- to take a dominant lead into the halftime break.

Mexican international Juan Francisco Palencia scored twice within five minutes in his MLS debut to send Chivas in front. First, he tapped home a Douglas Sequeira flick header from a corner from close range (17), then he latched onto a mis-hit clearance and hammered home a first-time blast from outside the area.

Then Juan Pablo Garcia, another Mexican international, put Chivas two to the good with a wonderful goal, collecting a return pass from Arturo Torres and deftly chipping Tony Meola from the heart of the penalty area (39).

But the MetroStars were handed a lifeline midway through the second half when Gaven was again hacked down in the area, and Guevara again converted from the spot, the first time in MetroStars history the club had scored two penalties in one game.

Yet when it seemed it wouldn't be enough, the Metros won a freekick at the top of the restraining arc. Youri Djorkaeff slid a pass to the left to Guevara, and he hit a sublime curling strike inside the far post to share the points.

At Arrowhead Stadium, the Kansas City Wizards leapfrogged the Chicago Fire and settled into sole possession of second place in the Eastern Conference with a 3-0 victory, their fourth successive victory while sending the Fire to their fourth loss in five games.

Scott Sealy scored on either side of halftime to send the Wizards on their way. First he had the simplest of finishes, poked the ball home from almost on the goal line after Fire 'keeper Matt Pickens was injured as he dove to cut out a low cross (26).

Then in the 72nd minute he doubled the lead with his rookie-best eighth goal of the season, collecting a pass on the left and cutting in before slotting home past substitute 'keeper Zach Thornton. Barely a minute later Jack Jewsbury finished off the match, skipping into the Fire area before rounding Thornton and sliding home the Kansas City third.

At RFK Stadium, Landon Donovan scored two second-half goals to give the Los Angeles Galaxy a 3-2 victory against D.C. United for the club's first victory outside of southern California since June 27, 2004, while also putting an end to United's four-game winning streak.

The Galaxy were gifted the opener after 28 minutes when a low cross from Cobi Jones on the right flank was turned into his own goal by United rookie center back Bobby Boswell. But defender Bryan Namoff pulled the home side level just nine minutes later, getting on the end of a Christian Gomez freekick with the slightest of touches to head over Galaxy 'keeper Kevin Hartman.

Yet just eight minutes after the break, Donovan gave the Galaxy the lead after they won a free kick nearly on the edge of the United area. The U.S. international whipped the ball over the wall and off the underside of the crossbar to again nose Los Angeles in front.

United again answered, from the spot through Jaime Moreno, converting his own penalty after he was bundled over by rookie central defender Ugo Ihemelu (66).

Yet Donovan and the Galaxy answered again not a minute later, Jones curling a cross from the left flank over the United defense to the back post where Donovan snuck in to power home a header. The Galaxy then survived a last-second effort from Moreno on the rebound that somehow came back off the face of the bar from close range.

At Crew Stadium, a pair of teams riding losing streaks battled through a mostly tentative affair that was interrupted by a thunderstorm before Cornell Glen gave the Crew a 1-0 victory.

Chris Henderson got out of the corner with a nutmeg and drove a rolling ball in the heart of the FC Dallas goal area. Glen deflected the ball goalward with a neat touch with the inside of his heel, FCD defender Chris Gbandi just unable to hook the ball off the line.

The victory moved the Crew to within 15 points of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, while FC Dallas still remained winless since the start of July, now seven matches without a victory in league play.

At Rice-Eccles Stadium, Real Salt Lake striker Jason Kreis was honored with a pregame ceremony following his 100th career MLS goal last weekend, as Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman proclaimed it "Jason Kreis Day" in the state, but at the end of the night the San Jose Earthquakes just kept rolling along.

Mark Chung scored the game's only goal four minutes before the end of the first half, cutting back inside a defender before beating RSL rookie 'keeper Jay Nolly inside his near post as San Jose extended their unbeaten run to four games, now with just one loss since the start of June.

In Denver on Wednesday, the Colorado Rapids ran their unbeaten run to three matches as the New England Revolution finished a busy stretch with a tired loss by a 2-0 scoreline.

Alain Nkong finally broke through for the home side in the 78th minute, finishing off a neat passing movement. Eric Denton laid the ball back from inside the box, and Nkong hammered a low drive from 20 yards inside the left-hand corner.

Then eight minutes later Jean Philippe Peguero made it 2-0 from the penalty spot, beating substitute Doug Warren in his first action of the season after New England 'keeper Matt Reis was sent off for pulling down Fabrice Noel after the Haitian international had rounded him to concede the penalty.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.