Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Brazilian striker Jo from CSKA Moscow for a "club record" undisclosed fee.
The 21-year-old 6ft 3ins forward, who has been capped once by Brazil, has signed a four-year contract.
Jo had been on the verge of making the move to Eastlands for a number of weeks and becomes Mark Hughes' first signing since replacing Sven-Goran Eriksson.
Jo, full name Joao Alves de Assis Silva, is a skilful left-footed striker who joined several compatriots at CSKA in 2006 when he moved from Corinthians.
City had been expected to pay around £19million for the striker, who scored 44 goals in 77 matches in all competitions for the Russian club.
Hughes told the club's website, mcfc.co.uk: "He's a big talent and a young man with a big future.
"A lot has been said about him and there was a big expectation on him coming out of Brazil. So with the success he's had I think it's a real coup that we've been able to bring him to the club.
"He's a big guy, in stature and in ability, so I think everybody will enjoy watching him play."
During his spell with CSKA Jo won the Russian league and cup double in 2006 and boasts Champions League pedigree having made numerous appearances in the competition for the Moscow club.
At his unveiling on Wednesday evening, Jo said: "I decided to come to Manchester City because it is one of the clubs who showed more interest in me, although I had other offers as well.
"After I spoke to the manager (Hughes) I was very pleased.
"I was told Manchester City is a club going forward at the moment. We can go places, that is our objective. We thought about it and I decided to come to Manchester City for that reason."
Jo revealed Spanish outfit Valencia were City's main rivals for his signature.
"The club who showed interest officially was Valencia," he said. "I know from the press there were other clubs who showed interest."
Hughes also spoke of the possibility of Jo's compatriot Ronaldinho moving to Eastlands.
The forward has been told he can leave Barcelona but has yet to actually leave the Nou Camp, with AC Milan, Chelsea and City being linked with a move.
"Basically that's a process that is ongoing," Hughes said. "I don't think the process has slowed or accelerated."
Hughes admitted the media speculation has been somewhat unhelpful but revealed one-to-one talks have been positive.
"He's a huge world star and these things, if they are going to happen, are likely to take a bit of time," he added.
"In the discussions he's had with the club I think he's been very positive about the idea of coming to the club."