MLS Goes Gold
This September, MLS WORKS, Major League Soccer’s community outreach initiative, conducted its 4th annual Kick Childhood Cancer campaign to raise awareness and funds for Children’s Oncology Group (COG). MLS turned “gold” during the month-long campaign.
Why Childhood Cancer?
- Every day, 41 children are diagnosed with cancer
- 1 out of 5 children who are diagnosed with cancer dies
- 3 out of 5 who survive children’s cancer suﬀer late-eﬀects, such as infertility, heart failure and secondary cancers.
- Across all ages, ethnic and socio-economic groups, cancer remains the number one cause of death by disease in children.
Children’s Oncology Group is the world’s largest organization devoted exclusively to childhood and adolescent cancer research, uniting more than 9,000 experts in childhood cancer at more than 200 leading children’s hospitals around the world.
Ways to help
A limited supply of Kick Childhood Cancer scarves and t-shirts designed by Maria Lambiris along with other Kick Childhood Cancer apparel are still available on MLSstore.com.
DONATE! You also have the opportunity to make a donation on youcaring.com.
All 22 MLS clubs participated through various local activations.
- Atlanta: Atlanta United pays special visit to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Chicago: www.chicago-fire.com/community/foundation
- Colorado: www.coloradorapids.com/community
- Columbus: Crew SC's efforts to #KickChildhood Cancer featured on ESPN
- D.C. United: www.dcunited.com/community
- FC Dallas: www.fcdallas.com/community
- Houston: Esteban Hernandez: A weekend as the Dynamo honorary captain
- LA Galaxy: LA Galaxy to celebrate Pediatric Cancer Awareness Night after month-long support of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Minnesota: MNUFC Visits Masonic Children's Hospital
- Montreal: The 2017 Leucan Shaved Heads Challenge open to supporters
- New England: Lip sync battle highlights Revs' visit to Boston Children's Hospital
- NY Red Bulls: Tackle Kids Cancer
- NYCFC: Humans of NYCFC: Dr. Julia Glade Bender
- Orlando: www.orlandocitysc.com/foundation
- Philadelphia: Union exchange Kickasso cleats with kids affected by pediatric cancer
- Portland: Following Derrick Tellez's busy week, Timbers win caps special night for players and team
- Real Salt Lake: www.rsl.com/community
- San Jose: www.sjearthquakes.com/community
- Seattle: soundersfc.com/kickchildhoodcancer (Event Recaps)
- Sporting KC: Behind the Shield: Sporting KC honors 100th child battling cancer
- Toronto FC: torontofc.ca/community/relations
- Vancouver: How Taylin McGill left the 'Caps inspired after last week's BC Children's Hospital visit