2018 Referee Pool Reporter Process
(To be posted in Referees’ Locker Room no later than 30 minutes prior to kickoff)
The MLS Pool Reporter shall be a member of the working media who is designated prior to the season to ask the Referee(s) questions following the game.
Three Pool Reporters (a primary and two alternates) will be designated by the Home Club PR Staff. The names of the pool reporters and alternates will be displayed in the referee locker rooms at each venue. The term “Pool Reporter” below refers to the primary or alternate present and able to perform the role on any given MLS game day.
1. Post Form: The Pool Reporter must not be affiliated with any MLS Team, and his/her identity will be posted in the official's locker room no later than THIRTY (30) minutes prior to kick-off. It is recommended that these journalists be selected among those who attend every home game.
2. Notification of Request: The Pool Reporter will notify the Home Club PR Staff no later than FIVE (5) minutes after the game’s final whistle that the media have questions for the Referee.
3. Write Questions and Sign: The Pool Reporter will write a maximum of THREE (3) questions for the Referee on paper, sign it, and give it to the Home Club PR Staff.
4. Deliver Questions to PRO Referee Liaison: No sooner than FIVE (5) minutes after the final whistle, the Home Club PR Staff will deliver the written questions to the PRO Referee Liaison outside the referee locker room and confirm that he/she will return with the Pool Reporter in FIFTEEN (15) minutes.
5. Preparation and Interview: The Referee will have FIFTEEN (15) minutes to review the questions and prepare for the interview without the Home Club PR Staff or Pool Reporter present. After the FIFTEEN (15) minute period has elapsed, the PRO Referee Liaison will facilitate a verbal, in-person interview between the Referee and the Pool Reporter, with the Home Club PR Staff present. At the Referee’s discretion, the interview may occur inside or just outside the referee locker room. Requests for clarification and follow-up questions are permitted.
6. Transcribe and Distribute: The Pool Reporter will record the interview and provide a copy of the audio file to the Home Club PR Staff for transcription and distribution to the media. The Pool Reporter must proofread and verify accuracy the transcription before it is shared with the media.