World Cup: Venues, schedule set for "Road to Brazil" friendlies, including Spain, Nigeria and Ivory Coast
The stage is set for the “Road to Brazil.”
On Friday Soccer United Marketing, Major League Soccer’s commercial arm, announced the schedules and venues for the series of tune-up matches to World Cup 2014 featuring six countries heading to Brazil, including reigning champions Spain and African powers Nigeria and Ivory Coast. The event that will take place across the United States from May 29 to June 7 and will start and conclude in the Washington, D.C., area.
The nation’s capital will play host to the opener between Turkey and Honduras at RFK Stadium as well as the doubleheader finale at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., featuring Spain vs. El Salvador and a regular-season MLS match between D.C. United and the Columbus Crew.
The other venues include Houston Dynamo’s BBVA Compass Stadium, Philadelphia Union’s PPL Park, FC Dallas' Toyota Stadium and New York Red Bulls’ Red Bull Arena as well as a site yet to be determined.
Tickets for all “Road to Brazil” matches will go on sale to the general public March 17 at mlssoccer.com/roadtobrazil. The World Cup kicks off on June 12 with the match between hosts Brazil and Group A opponents Croatia.
Here is the complete list of games:
- May 29: Turkey vs. Honduras, RFK Stadium
- May 30: Bosnia & Herzegovina vs. Ivory Coast, Edwards Jones Dome, St. Louis
- June 1: Honduras vs. Israel, BBVA Compass Stadium
- June 3: Greece vs. Nigeria, PPL Park
- June 4: Ivory Coast vs. El Salvador, Toyota Stadium
- June 6: Greece vs. Bolivia, Red Bull Arena
- June 7: Spain vs. El Salvador; D.C. United vs. Columbus Crew, FedEx Field