Been dreaming of seeing the New York Red Bulls square off against the Cosmos? You may be in luck, as a crosstown clash could be in the cards after US Soccer revealed fourth-round pairings for the 2014 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup on Friday after a draw at its headquarters in Chicago.
The Red Bulls and 15 other US-based MLS teams learned their potential opponents, though they will have to wait until the third round is completed on May 28 to know for sure who they will be facing and where they will be playing.
The tournament field has already been pared down from 80 teams to 48. The third round will consist of 32 teams, and each of the 16 winners will face an MLS opponent on a date set by US Soccer between June 10-18. Home teams will determine the exact dates from among the visiting teams' available dates, and the exact schedule will be announced next week.
Outside of the potential Red Bulls-Cosmos derby, another potentially intriguing clash could be in the cards should the LA Galaxy II top amateur opponents PSA Elite to set up a date in Southern California with the Seattle Sounders.
- READ: Open Cup: Second round recap
Additionally, three MLS teams could face their USL PRO affiliate in the fourth round: the Philadelphia Union (vs. Harrisburg City Islanders), Columbus Crew (vs. Dayton Dutch Lions), and San Jose Earthquakes (vs. Sacramento Republic).
Here is the full list of potential pairings for MLS teams in the fourth round:
- New England Revolution (MLS) at Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) OR vs. N.Y. Greek American Atlas (USASA)
- New York Red Bulls (MLS) at New York Cosmos (NASL) OR vs. Brooklyn Italians (NPSL)
- Philadelphia Union (MLS) vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL PRO) / Baltimore Bohemians (PDL) winner
- D.C. United (MLS) at Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) OR vs. Reading United (PDL)
- Columbus Crew (MLS) vs. Dayton Dutch Lions (USL PRO) / Indy Eleven (NASL) winner
- Chicago Fire (MLS) vs. RWB Adria (USASA) / Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL PRO) winner
- Sporting Kansas City (MLS) vs. Minnesota United (NASL) / Des Moines Menace (USASA) winner
- Houston Dynamo (MLS) vs. Laredo Heat (PDL) / Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) winner
- FC Dallas (MLS) vs. NTX Rayados (USASA) / San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) winner
- LA Galaxy (MLS) at Arizona United (USL PRO) OR vs. Oklahoma City Energy (USL PRO)
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) vs. Fresno Fuego (PDL) / Sacramento Republic (USL PRO) winner
- Chivas USA (MLS) at Carolina RailHawks (NASL) OR vs. Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO)
- Seattle Sounders (MLS) at LA Galaxy II (USL PRO) OR vs. PSA Elite (USASA)
- Real Salt Lake (MLS) at Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) OR vs. Chattanooga FC (NPSL)
- Portland Timbers (MLS) at Charleston Battery (USL PRO) OR vs. Orlando City U-23s (PDL)
- Colorado Rapids (MLS) vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) / Orlando City (USL PRO) winner